My first boat

dkmccreight

Cadet
So this is my first boat. I paid $500 for the thing and the guy gave me a bunch of extras, like a new TM, fish finder, stuff like that. Ive already done some work on it and Im real happy with what Ive done so far. This weekend I pulled the gas tank and found it full of old gas/varnish. I soaked the nipple in some Berrymans and threw some gas/Berrymans/Sta-bil in the tank itself. Im thinking if I let that mixture soak inside that tank it will loosen all that gunk and crud. Ive already replaced all of the fuel lines and carb kits are next. The rest of the boat is in great shape. Any thing that I might be missing?

-DK

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer
Re: My first boat

Congratulations on the new (old) boat. What kind of boat, engine and drive?

erikgreen

Captain

Hmm... putting that in the tank will probably get some of the crud loose, but once that happens what are you going to do? It can clog a lot of stuff on the way to the engine.

If it's a metal tank, consider putting some stainless steel small ball bearings or shot in it and shaking/rotating it enough to clean it that way.

If you had crud in the tank and fuel filter, check the fuel lines and carb too.

Post pics so we can see what you have, there probably are a lot of suggestions we can make.

Erik

dkmccreight

Cadet

This is the way I got her:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Its a '79 Skeeter and the motor is an '81. The gas tank is out and soaking. I plan on letting it soak then dumping it. Im not gonna put it through the engine at all.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good looking boat.

Check the transom really well. They're wooden; prone to rot, and that one looks like it's been sitting without a cover for a long time.

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

aaah the old v4 crossflow evinrude. i have the 135hp version. it's been a grrreat motor. my father-in-law retired pro bass fisherman, former bass boat test driver for one of the big brands, said these motors can last a long, long time and be amazingly trouble-free with just the basic care. so, well done. how long is the boat? how heavy?

Oh, I see it's a Skeeter. My FIL was sponsored by them and did some test drving for them, too. He's coming over this weekend. I'll ask him about the '79 versions.

-peter

dkmccreight

Cadet

I checked out the transom real well and it is good to go. Im real happy with the boat and I havent even got it in the water yet! This weekend Im going to finish with the fuel systems and maybe take a look at the water pump?? Boat shop here in town said they would replace the pump for $125 (parts/labor). I hear its kind of a chore to do, so I may just let them do it!
Then after that Im gonna lay the carpet. Ive got a sign shop that is trying to make me some new stickers to replace these ole worn out things.
Oh, she is 16'.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can also put a length of chain or a bunch of nuts and bolts in the tank and leave it in the bed of your truck while driving around it can really do wonders to scrub the thing up a bit. I like the roughness of the nuts and bolts over bearings but both will work. Just make sure it is good and clean before you re use it or it will be nothing but problems in the future. That is a nice looking boat as already mentioned make double sure the transom is good as it does look as though it has sat outside uncoverd which as we all know is death to boats.

erikgreen

Captain

It's worth noting that your tank should be completely full when you do this... a full gas tank is much less dangerous than an empty or partially empty one.

Given a choice I'd dump the fuel in it through a filter into a few gas cans and consider using it for a lawn mower or something. Then I'd clean the tank out and keep it full of soapy water while I did so. Heavy, but prevents vapor build up. Other suggestions include taking it to a radiator repair shop and getting them to tank dip it.

What's the tank made of? If it's steel I'd replace it, if it's aluminum I'd clean it, and if it's plastic it'll be easiest to deal with.

Erik

jonesg

Admiral

Go ahead and try, it won't hurt anything.

the problem is todays alcohol fuel will loosen the varnish but not dissolve it and it will end up in the carbs.

dkmccreight

Cadet

I soaked the tank for a while. Actually, close to two weeks. I never had a chance to deal with until yesterday. So I drained the crap that was in there and found a real good layer of varnish mud. I had thrown some nuts and bolts in there and left it in the back of the truck. Now all of those nuts/bolts are stuck in the mud. I bought a gallon of Berrymans chemical dip stuff and poured all of it in the tank. Hopefully, in the morning, the mud will be liquid again and I can drain it. Any thoughts??

jonesg

Admiral

Good news,:p
the stuff sold by startron dissolves it completely and you can even run it through your engine.

Bad news,:mad:
The transom looks shot,
those black lines running down from fittings....
a hull full of leaves...
carpeted deck and neglected..

Until I drilled holes and squeezed the drill chips in my hand I was just wishin.

those are common signs of the need to beneath the deck.
some boats just aren't made to get wet, odd thing to say about boats, especially a fishing boat.