The war is on.

gonefishie

Commander
The last couple of mornings I've been seeing something black running on the floor along the base of the kitchen cabinet. Each time I only saw a flash of it out of the corner of my eye and thought it was a mouse. I saw it again this morning and confirmed the suspect. I have a bag of sugar and flour in one of the rotating cabinet were torn open, flour everywhere and there are feces. This little rodent is apparently very brave because he's running around with me standing right in the kitchen. I've been thinking about using a D-Con covered mouse trap. Have any of you guys use it? good/bad? Their website says to use peanut butter as bait. Can I just use a piece of Butterfinger, Reese's cup or something instead of the jar stuff?

i386

Captain
Re: The war is on.

The tried and true Victor spring loaded traps work fine for me when the occasion arises. I bait them with American cheese!

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cheese, peanut butter, peanuts, cake, bacon, Anything a mouse will eat will work.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

A friend of mine is a pest control guy and he said to get a normal 'improved mouse trap' and use peanut butter. have used that method for two mice in my house. Luckily I found their entry point since then and sealed it shut.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have built in mouse hunting devices and the mice only come in during to cold weather...... the cat's are evil.... they catch mice and carry them into the bathtub...... it becomes a great area for the mice to torture them...... my own little version of the Christians and the Lions :eek:

Yup PB works great in a trap.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

there never is just one mouse, they come in two's.
yup, good ole std mouse traps with peanut butter.
we use one of those ultrasonic mouse repellers from walmart and no trouble after.
IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!:D

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

a snap spring trap and peanut butter.
Decon i would stay away from because they eat the stuff and go searching for water. then they go hide in places you can't get to without big destructive tools.

I have a trap outside right now for my new gopher neighbor. Yea he will be getting a ride out of town in the am :)

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my garage (glorified storage shed), I use a combination snap traps baited with lunch meat - the greasier the better and glue traps.

The glue traps right on known travel paths (easily spotted as they are usually heavy in scat), and the snap traps at 'pinch points' (areas that mice are likely to travel between different 'zones')

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think so Tyme. Beside, I don't have dogs anymore since my ex took them with her when she moved out.

"My wife left town with my best friend. I still miss him." :D

Honestly, that sucks man. :( It's amazing how attached you can get to an anomal that's not even yours. I had to take a friend's dog to be put down, it sucked. We used to puppy-sit alot and got quite attached to him.

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Peanut butter and spring traps is the way to go, you?ll want conformation, not left wondering if you got em? or not . Peanut butter works well as the aroma carries quite the distance.

There was a time past when I was living between a forest and acres of hay fields. I had a run of nine days straight with full spring traps before I found an empty trap. I was considering making a mad trappers hat out of the pelts?. When I hit a dry run ;-)

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had a mouse problem myself for a while.

Went to the local ACE hardware store and bought a little battery operated electric mouse trap.

That thing is SWEET! Bait it with a little peanut butter, set it along their little mouse run and ZZZZZZAP!

Empty trap and place back along the run. Don't even need to re-bait it.
Repeat as needed.

No more mice after four years.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

PH0540_jpg.jpg

Dixie gun works used to sell these black powder mouse traps :D

That black powder gismo might burn your house down . It for sure it would at least wake up our 3 house cats...and good for nothing Dog........I used a glue trap once and it caught a mouse. The mouse wanted me to let it go so bad that he tried to impress me by doing several hundred push ups. I couldnt kill it so I took the trap and mouse outside . The cat came over to look and then the mouse died. Cat didnt touch him but I think the fear of seeing the cat and not being able to run gave him a heart attack...I think glue traps are cruel and never use them now.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Use the old standard spring loaded mouse trap.
1. You know when you got him.
2. The kill is quick and hopefully minimally painful.
3. Easy to clean-up.

Used several different types in the Keys. The little bait traps caused them to die in places unreachable and the smell lasted for months. The spring traps woke me up at night, but killed quite a few. Then I got a cat, and the mice moved next door.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

The last couple of mornings I've been seeing something black running on the floor along the base of the kitchen cabinet. Each time I only saw a flash of it out of the corner of my eye and thought it was a mouse. I saw it again this morning and confirmed the suspect. I have a bag of sugar and flour in one of the rotating cabinet were torn open, flour everywhere and there are feces. This little rodent is apparently very brave because he's running around with me standing right in the kitchen. I've been thinking about using a D-Con covered mouse trap. Have any of you guys use it? good/bad? Their website says to use peanut butter as bait. Can I just use a piece of Butterfinger, Reese's cup or something instead of the jar stuff?

This clearly is going to a battle of wit's.........:p

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Definitely spring traps but I'm not convinced of peanut butter. The little bastids just licked it up off the tripping mechanism. I then just cut up little 1/4" cubes of marble cheese and mushed it on there nice and good. 5 mice in 5 nights. None since.