smart tabs vs whalefin on sterndrive

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone got thoughts on using a whale fin on a 20' Wellcraft Eclipse, with Mercruiser sterndrive, to help get on plane a littler faster, vs using smart tabs? With four people on board, this boat seems to plane a little slow.

Jahkneefive

Cadet
Re: smart tabs vs whalefin on sterndrive

I ended up going smarttabs on my 22' for the exact same issue. Made a world of difference. Probably the best $100 I've spent... on a side note they are actually $20 OFF on here for father's day sale.

As far as my reasons, smarttabs let the weight of the boat do the trim work and allow me to use the actual drive to fine tune it and propell the boat more efficiently. With a whale tale your drive is still having to do all the work. With the tabs and 4 people on board I can run at half trim and be smooth on plane in a light chop.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Smart Tabs.

I've been thinking of smart tabs on my 21'.

Those look good. Nice job on install. How difficult was it and about how long did it take?

nlain

Commander

The hardest part of the install was talking my self into drilling holes in my boat, not to mention below the waterline. It took less than 2 hours to layout, drill holes and mount. I had read the instructions several times before I gathered tools and went out to install. Be careful on the layout, you do not want any mistakes, get some 4200 marine sealer to put in the holes and on the screws when you go to install, you want to be sure you have a water tight seal. Mine work great. If you click the link in my signature you can see some of the setup and the finished install.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tabs!
Best money I've spent so far!

southtexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TABS!! Easily the best money I've spent on the boat. Go to virtually any forum and you'll read the same.

QC

Supreme Mariner

There are other forums? :eek:

southtexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't say those other forums are as densely populated with mechanical wizards as this one; I just said forums.

Ah, never mind...the other forums suck anyways.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get the Smart Tabs and report back here how much you like them and how great we all are for suggesting them to you!:D

End of story...

QC

Supreme Mariner

I am to the point that I believe they should be standard equipment on most runabouts and small cruisers. :D
Totally agree!!!! I would qualify as V-hulls, and I would say "some type of movable trim tab". Can't think of the right words, but it should exclude fixed tabs and include helm adjustable (my personal preference). Not going to happen due to cost, but there is no other single addition to a V-hull that results in such a dramatic improvement overall.