Willard 600 MCA Battery Exploded While I Was Disconnecting The Charger

Banack

Recruit
I wrote this last night after I got home from the hospital:

Realizing that my batteries were low (for the electric motor), I decided to charge them. I stuck the charger on the big battery (bigger than a car battery) and left it for a few hours. When I returned, the green light on the charger was on, indicating that the battery was charged.

Here is what happened next.

I was planning on putting the charger on the other battery, so I was just going to unhook the charger from the negative and positive posts on the battery that was charged and move them to the other battery. I grabbed the clamp on the negative post, as I squeezed it.....KABOOOOOOOOM! The sound was like a shotgun amplified by 2-3 times and my ears were ringing to the point where I couldn't hear out of the left one at all and only slightly out of my right. My face was covered it some material, causing it to tingle, and my ears were itchy and burning. I could feel a gritty substance behind my tightly closed eyelids.

Next, I ran into the house and yelled for Julie to call 911 (as I had assumed that I had battery acid in my face/eyes). She had heard the explosion, but still wasn't sure if I was being serious. After convincing her (quickly) that I was serious, she called 911 while I jumped (fully clothed) into the shower and soaked myself in cold water. I finally opened my eyes and (thank god) was able to see. I told Julie to tell 911 that we could drive ourselves (realizing my dumb luck that my face wasn't disfigured from burns, but my eyes were still itchy/burning). She filled up a bowl of water for me for the trip and I kept my eyes/face soaked until we got to the hospital; there, I had each eye flushed with .5 liters of a saline solution and the doctor asked that I return before 8 tomorrow morning so he can have another look.

Thoughts right now.... Julie and I had been recently talking about how we should really appreciate the fact that we are both healthy and don't have debilitating disabilities to deal with (on any scale). The battery blowing up in my face only reinforced my appreciation for the dumb luck I possess, which saved both my sight and certain facial disfiguring tonight.

We're still going fishing tomorrow.... only with paddles.

I charged this battery 20+ times in the same manner and never had any problems.

It was a sealed battery.

I am still trying to figure out what happened, to hopefully mitigate against future occurrences for other people. I can't even find any information on the Willard Battery manufacturer.... I wanted to email them to see if they could figure it out.

If you want pictures of the battery, charger (with the settings it was set to), and the area afterward the incident, please ask for them and I can email them. I am so lucky to still have my sight and not be suffering from burns.

Thanks for any suggestions, ideas, help!

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Willard 600 MCA Battery Exploded While I Was Disconnecting The Charger

you created a spark, should always unplug power to the charger before disconnecting the clamps on the battery, i'm sure you know this, and will say you did that. spark caused to explode

Splat

Lieutenant

I'm glad your ok, but your lack of understanding of what happened baffles me.........

The big huge warning plastered all over the battery warning of sparks, open flames and hydrogen gas should have been enough. Once again I'm glad your not hurt. But merely concerned you don't understand what happened. Please understand I'm not poking at you, or trying to put you down, but this could have been much worse.....

When batteries are charged they produce Hydrogen gas. This gas is (as you unfortunately found out) extremely explosive. When the battery charging lead was removed with the charger still plugged in a spark was created and BOOM.

The other thing that concerns me is that you stated the batteries were getting weak so you decided to charge them. Your deep cycle batteries need to be charged after every use to insure longevity of the cells. Perhaps your doing this, but the story makes it sound different.

Once again not be overly critical, but I believe some general basic knowledge of the equipment your using would have prevented this accident.

I'm glad your not seriously hurt.

Bill

Banack

Recruit

Bill,

The green light on the charger was ON... thus no electricity should have been flowing to it, plugged in or not.

Secondly, there are gas vents built into the sealed batteries and the garage I was working in had proper ventilation (air in/out for heat/air conditioning).

Bill, be careful how you word things so you don't come off as an *******.

doctordelerious

Seaman Apprentice

I worked with a gentleman who was blinded for life because of a battery explosion, helping jump start someones car, your very fortunate !

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Bill,

The green light on the charger was ON... thus no electricity should have been flowing to it, plugged in or not.

Secondly, there are gas vents built into the sealed batteries and the garage I was working in had proper ventilation (air in/out for heat/air conditioning).

Bill, be careful how you word things so you don't come off as an *******.

Banak, Bill worded it as diplomatically as possible. Two people have told you what happened (I agree with them), but you're still arguing the point. The charger light being "green" does not preclude the possibility that it was still "trickling" to maintain a charge. A charger needs to be disconnected from power before you swap it over. You messed up. Accidents happen. Glad you weren't hurt.

Splat

Lieutenant

I have no interest in getting into a peeing match. My intentions were not to come across as an *****, or put anybody down, imo I didn't........

As stated before, this was a preventable accident. Thank god no one is seriously hurt. I stand behind myprevious post. I have nothing more to say at this time.

Bill

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

This is a good thread. I charge all three of mine apparently the WRONG way and will never do that again. Never read the instructions. In the end it's great that you're ok and not hurt worse, and you can rest assured that you have prevented this same accident (at least one here) to me and maybe more people-- your unfortunate injuries carry inherent nobility (quote from a movie...)

On another note, when I was a kid my folks had a nice 28' Chris Craft witha battery that notoriously wouldn't hold a charge. I remember this becaue it was a Willard and my mother always called it "Willard the rat." Must've had some literary connotation. Seems the stigma lives on.

Thanks for the warning. It will be taken heed over here.

Brian.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

You guys are correct.
You should never disconnect a battery with the charger on, green light or not. Best to wait for the gas to disipate before unhooking a battery so this does not happen. The more confined space the worse the situation with gas staying in and around the battery during charging.
Even if you turn the charger off, if you do not let the gas clear out and you for some reason get something across the battery terminals or create a spark you can have the same explosion, the safest way is the let the batter gases disipate before unhooking the battery. This is a great reminder for everyone because we all get slack in our safety and we never should because it only takes one oops.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When someone says the "green light was on so no current should be flowing whether or not the unit is plugged in" is simply lack of understanding. What do you think makes the light turn on? Yup -- it's electricity. That electricity is not coming from the battery, it's coming from the AC line. Circuitry in the charger measured the battery voltage and when it was up to spec, the light turns on. If the charger were unplugged that light would not be on. It seems you want to blame the charger, the battery, or something else when it was your lack of knowledge (or carelessness) that caused the issue.

Like the others, I too am happy this turned out ok. In the future, connect and then plug in the charger. When done, unplug the charger and then disconnect from the battery.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I got in the habit of disconnecting power to the charger before disconnecting from battery through two expereinces.

1. Disconnected from battery once and the clamps fell out of my hands and sparked together. Not something I liked, so I always disconnect first to be sure the clamps are dead.

2. I disconnected charger power once on a fully charged (according to the charger gauge) battery. I just wanted to stop the charging since hte battery was full, but I did not disconnect from the battery. About 1 week later, battery was dead again. The charger drain it down being left plugged up with no charging power (my assumption anyway, because I recharged and disconnected from battery and was fine).

So, I always disconnect from both, power and battery when batt charge is full...

Splat

Lieutenant

Wow I forgot all about this thread.

it was a older one.

And yes, I still stand behind my first post, and still have nothing more to add.

Bill

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When the charger was connected, it was in trickle mode which still has current being delivered. Another point is that when the charger lead is removed and bounces back on for the new connection, chances are the charger put out more current. It will do that when first connected as well. If the batteries were old, they were probably overly gassing which was producing even more hydrogen than a newer battery would.