73 evinrude 115 vacume or gas and oil leak

davis073005

Recruit
I have a 1973 evinrude 115 it leaks a slow but steady oil/gas mix through the vent in the bottom of the air cleaner housing when running at idle in a tank i dont know if this is a problem or normal for these old engines it builds up on the spill plate below the carbs it also has a problem whem I put it in gear it dies somtimes if Im not quick enough is this all normal any help would be greatly appreciated thank you

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 evinrude 115 vent oil leak

There is a drain hose running from the bottom of the intake manifold back to the air silencer base. If that is the source, it is normal, but if the fuel and oil is coming from the carburetors, the float needle valves are not closing properly.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

My guess is it needs more cowbell! ;)

davis073005

Recruit
Re: 73 evinrude 115 gas oil leak vacume?

Re: 73 evinrude 115 gas oil leak vacume?

thanks for the info on the vent but it also has a oil gas spray on one side of the engine but I cant find a source it appears as if their is a small leak coming from the bottom bowl but I just did carb rebuild kits on both and cleaned the old gaskests off carefully may be its a spray back ? it runs great wide open. I have the idle screw all the way up and when I put it in gear it dies sometimes and every time I stop and start again I have to prime the bulb and it starts hard if I dont prime the bulb it runs for 30 seconds and dies it has a new fuel pump mabey it needs a new bulb? not sure if its a fuel or vacume prob any help thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 evinrude 115 vacume or gas and oil leak

There should not be an idle screw on the 1973 115. The carburetors should have all fixed jets with no adjustments.

The carburetors and lines should have no fuel leaks; if they do, air can get in. Keep a little steady pressure on the primer bulb while you check the carburetors carefully for leaks.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think he means the spark advance stop screw.

I would check the bowl for hairline cracks, or come over and get one of the bowls off my parts motor and see if that fixes it.

davis073005

Recruit

their is an idle screw to the left of the carb below the spark advance screw ,that is set at 3/8 inch out like in the manuel. I bought a new bulb and new fuel lines I will check for leaks tonight any ideas on the gas oil spray other than the fuel line it seems to be coming from the top of the engine and around the starter I will try it and get back thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The primer bulb should not have to be re-primed if you are restarting the motor within a reasonable amount of time unless you have an air leak between the primer bulb and the carburetors.

If the starter pinion/shaft is greased or oiled (which it should not be), it will throw the grease onto the engine.