'88 Suzuki DT85 Whoes

wood2turn

Seaman
Man...I'm having a heck of a time getting this motor ready to fish!

1st the water pump.

Now...I just don't know, maybe someone here can point me in the right direction (hopefully NOT the repair shop).
Again it idles fine at home on the muffs and water hose BUT...when I put it in the water for a test run, it won't idle. In fact, I get a periodic loud Chirp and a misfire (?) and the motor dies. 2 hours at the dock and I gave it up for the day.
I applied some Mercury power tune to the Carbs and tried it again after letting my temper cool off for a week. Now I can get it to rev to 6000 (on the muffs) but when i idle it back it will still chirp and die.

Keep in mind that the motor sat for at least 5 yrs. without being properly stored, just flushed and turned off. I was thinking timing but a friend of mine says it's the reed valves. He thinks maybe 1 (or more) is broken. I have no experience with them so I don't know. I have a maint. manual for the motor however. But it doesn't have a section for describing problems (like my Yamaha manual does). It only has a half-*****'d troubleshooting section.

I called the local dealer and he says the power head must e removed to check/change the reed valves. I'm not into that and sure can't afford the repair shop prices.

Sugestions??
Thanks,
Terry B.

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '88 Suzuki DT85 Whoes

Hi wood2turn,
This could be caused by several things. Old gas, dirty carbs, weak spark at plugs, weak compression, dirty fuel filter, etc... have you checked any of these? I'd start with compression first. If it's ok, have you tried pumping the bulb while running in the water to see what happens? If it runs better doing that it maybe fuel pump. Try these things and let us know what happens. Another thing to do is to unhook the bulb from the fuel tank and bleed out the gas from the lines, filter and carbs. Fill the filter housing up with carb cleaner. Put some carb cleaner in a small container and stick the end of the fuel hose in it and pump until you see it squirting out the carbs. You may have to fill the container a few times to achieve this. Loosen the screw on the bowls of the carb and drain it. Repeat this 2 or 3 times then do it and let the cleaner stand in the carbs overnight or for a day or two. Do "NOT" run the engine off the carb cleaner. It'll run way too hot and you take a chance on blowing a piston. Drain the lines, filter and carbs. Flush with fresh, mixed gas 2 or 3 times. Let us know the results. Good kuck.

wood2turn

Seaman

Waffles...
Thanks for the reply.
Actually I have done most of what you suggested before I even thought of trying to start it. Flushed the lines, drained the carbs and used carb cleaner to pump through te lines, filter and into the carbs. Cleaned the filter and replaced the fuel pump diaphram. Got new gas in the cans only after flushing the old gas from them and added an octane boost just to be sure I have high enough octane (I bought reg. instead of mid or high grade)...yeah I know, SHAME ON ME!
Compression check shows 115 across the board and I installed new plugs. The old plugs were not fouled and the color was normal. Although the gap was something like .044 (that was over 3 weeks ago and my memory ain't what it used to be;) ).

Today I'll double check the timing (although I fully expect that to be right on).
Other than that, the only thing left (that I can think of), is the reed valves. Like I said...the mech at the dealership told me the power head must be removed to check those. I am not going to get into this motor that far. I have a perfectly good Yamaha 85 on the stand in the garage and I'll swap out the motors 1st. I just REALLY wanted to use that power trim/tilt on the Suzi ya know...

Terry B.

hookser1

Cadet

Hi wood2turn
Its been my experience that when a reed is cracked a engine will be very difficult to start, so if it is starting fine I doubt very seriously if it's the reeds. I think if you put new carb kits in and clean the carbs good you'll be fine.

wood2turn

Seaman

That is a possibility (one I was hoping to avoid), there hooks...I hated doing carbs in the 60's and 70's...I hate it more now;)

I would have to take it in to get the carbs synch'd but that beats throwing out the motor!

Thanks man,
Terry

waffles1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am not 100% sure on this but I think that if you don't change the adjustments on the linkages I think you shouldn't have to resync.

wood2turn

Seaman

Waffles...that's the way I've always looked at it but many folks far more knowledgeable than I tell me different.

Terry

wood2turn

Seaman

Well...according to the troubleshooting section in my maint. manual (which is for every Suzi motor up to like 1995), I need to readjust the timing. BUT...the book only covers timing (static AND Dynamic) up to 1987 for the DT85. I know there's several things different on the '88 models like mine.
My linkage don't even LOOK like the linkage in the pictures, and I can't locate the parts to adjust properly.

DOES ANYONE ON HERE HAVE THE TIMING DIRECTIONS WITH PICTURES THEY CAN EMAIL ME?????

Thanks,
Terry B.

hookser1

Cadet

measure the air gap between all 3 pulse coil with a feeler gauge. clearance should be 0.03 inch or (0.75mm). my buddy has a 91 dt 85 and before we did a carb job on it, it would make that chirp and die also. as much as you don't want it to be the carbs and i don't blame ya that's where my money's at.

wood2turn

Seaman

Yup...I got the cabs off, sripped down and soaking in the cleaner now. Yes...the middle and bottom carb bowls had tons of gunk in them. I'm sure they were picking it up and trying to get it through the jets. It'll run WAAYYY better after this I'm sure.

As for the timing...I found out that it is timed by the Flywheel and a woodruf key. If the key is good then the timing is right on.

I'll post the results of the cleaning after I get it back together...probably the end of the week now as tomorrow is my Monday for work.

Terry B.

Cuda1

Cadet

sup, i had the same problems with my carbs, carb spray didnt do anything to fix it, so we broke them down and soaked in cleaner then i got a small wire to run thru all holes then sprayed them out with high presure air.Also the adjustments on carbs were set to 1 1/2 turns which i found out on here that was to much. around one turn works great on all 3 carbs.

wood2turn

Seaman

I got them back together now and set to 2 turns ea. per the manual.

I've decided to clean up the motor and touchup the paint before I ressemble it. I should be completed by Fri. and be ready for a sea trial.

Terry B.

James R

Commander

Once again. The so called spray carb cleaner is only for cleaning the outside. Never use it in a carb. It will destroy seals, finishes and anything plastic.
The way to do it is to use the carb cleaner kit made by Gunk,or similar. This will not harm your carbs and will remove the shellac deposits from our government supported crappy fuels. Always use Stabil Marine in your fuel to minimize deposits,keep your fuel fresh and minimize the effects of the junk alcohol in our gas.

landyman

Seaman Apprentice

gonna be the carbs the mikuni's on suzukis need to be spotless clean.

boroman

Cadet

Hi- I have a similar problem with my 82 DT85. (No Power under load, yet revs free on muffs) Had a recent service and been advised that the problem is in the crank casing. Engineer reckons seals may have gone reducing the suction between 2 cylinders. Advised it will need the crank case removing and seals inspecting. Is there any way I can check the validity of the diagnosis? Possibly cup hand over carb intake whilst running to feel for suction.

Motor has good spark and compression on all three cylinders. As with this thread most responses seem to lead to a carberation problem:confused:

any ideas? thanks

James R

Commander

Boroman.Hook up the motor to a water supply and start it up. Put on a leather glove and carefully pull each plug connector off its plug one at a time. If one cylinder is not running and I suspect that is the issue, then pulling that plug wire off will make no difference to the running of the motor. If this is the case then you have a start.
Better to start your own thread.

ski65nut

Cadet

Ok. sorry to cut in but can someone please tell me what the proper plug gap is for an '87 dt85? I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrom trying to find it on my own! To whomever it is that saves my sanity, thank you much!