Just got my first boat... and I am mighty excited about it..

capt-pete

Seaman Apprentice
She's a 1978 Thundercraft 160ss, with the Mariner 80HP outboard. Everything is there, and for the most part, looks like it has been maintained pretty well! I took her to the mechanic and had the fuel/water pumps serviced, and tuned up, and took it out on the water last weekend, it ran like a champ. All cylinders have equal compression, so I am hoping that the engine will last if I take care of it. My wife has named her bliss.

A few things I DO need to worry about though, and need some advice if you guys are willing to give it..

the wiring harness is getting brittle... I have been told i need a new stator kit and wiring harness. (Are these hard to find for the early Mariner outboards?)

My floor is sagging between the supports, but the support beams appear to be really solid underfoot. I don't have a lot of cash to put into the boat right now, so I was thinking of going to home depot and buying some pressure treated plywood, putting some carpet on there, and laying it on top of the old floor to get me by this summer until I can take it all apart (which sounds like a major undertaking, and I have no garage) -- So do you have any stop gap suggestions/warnings so we can enjoy the boat this summer, and fix her up next winter?

here are some photos:

0000005k.jpg

0000008i.jpg

0000007y.jpg

0000003z.jpg

the cover for the front seats is still there, and the Bimini top is also there, just needs a few zippers replaced.

thanks in advance
-pete

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Just got my first boat... and I am mighty excited about it..

Welcome :D
World & a half of great info here!!
I'll let the many experts answer the questions :redface:
BTW- Nice boat :cool:

Action

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like a pretty good setup, congrats!

capt-pete

Seaman Apprentice

was outside and looked at the floor again, looks like it is fiberglass, or maybe wood coated with fiberglass, I don't know. I cant figure out if the floor was always level, or if there was a dip in the middle (regardless there are two humps in it now) .... The fiberglass is attached to the seats, so putting in a temp floor is going to be a challenge.

Thanks for the input. Can't wait to get out on the water again soon. I am really pleased with how quick she planes out.

I have a 19 pitch stainless prop. Is that a little high? The speedo shows me doing 35 mph, but i think if i played with the trim, i could get it up to 40.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice boat do the temp repair and enjoy the summer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks like a fun boat. If it's planing out quickly then you probably aren't too waterlogged so if the transom is solid I'd definitely have no reservations using it for the season. You'll have a big job this winter redoing the floor (and almost always the stringers) but that boat is worth the effort. I'm getting similar speed numbers on my 16' V-hull with an 85 but I also think I could use some work on my set up. If you don't have a tach I would add one. It will tell you if you're able to reach the proper WOT operating range of your motor and help you in selecting a prop.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

i disagree with the cheap fix on the floor- use treated or maine plywood and it will last for many years- fasten the carpet( buy the good stuff-attach only at the edges. - MOST IMPORTANT IS TO HAVE FUN!!!:cool:CONGRATS!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

i disagree with the cheap fix on the floor- use treated or maine plywood and it will last for many years- fasten the carpet( buy the good stuff-attach only at the edges. - MOST IMPORTANT IS TO HAVE FUN!!!:cool:CONGRATS!

How about a little reasoning behing the comment on the "temp fix" The boat is sound, from what we hear...Transom wont be falling off..Did you ever get a new toy and your parents forgot the batteries and ya had to wait a few days to play with your toy?
Let him enjoy his boat for a few months, I am sure it will motivate him to have it fixed and solid as a rock during the off season..Will also give him some "feel" for her and some other ideas and options that he may want to do at the same time..
Basically, dont take away a kids batteries! lol

capt-pete

Seaman Apprentice

That "batteries" analogy is perfect. I have had the boat 3 weeks. Have had it on the water 2 times. Once on the test-drive to buy it, and once with my mechanic to make sure it ran well after the tune up.

This past week, I registered her, and got my boating license, and today was my big chance to go out on the water for an afternoon of fun... and of course, thunderstorms all day long. Tonight we go out of town, and my next chance to go out again isn't until next weekend.

I am learning about all of the things you have to buy for boats, and never knew it would add up so fast. Boat covers, tie-downs, horns, anchors, ropes, life preservers, 2 stroke additives, etc.. man... now if i could just go out and ENJOY my hobby...

thanks for all of the feedback. I am going to look into some marine plywood and make a quick fix for the summer, and think about what kind of interior to put in for next year.. I am thinking of getting a bench seat out of an old conversion van, upholstering it with marine fabric, and putting it in the back on tracks, so I can slide it backwards and forwards to access the gas tanks, battery, etc. And going with just single person seats at the wheel and passenger side.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

nice looking boat,have fun and welcome aboard the forum.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I am thinking of getting a bench seat out of an old conversion van, upholstering it with marine fabric, and putting it in the back on tracks, so I can slide it backwards and forwards to access the gas tanks, battery, etc. And going with just single person seats at the wheel and passenger side.

I think that sounds like a really cool idea.

doctordelerious

Seaman Apprentice

I have always loved the tri hull design very stable, congrats !:p