Trailering my 115 Johnson Seahorse

antdog

Cadet
I know this is a REALLY basic question, but I need a littlehelp. How do I raise the motor up when I need to trailer it? It has been tilted up as far as it will go, but I'm sure there's a way to raise the motor up further so that the transom guard will fit? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Anthony

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailering my 115 Johnson Seahorse

You would have to disconnect the tilt cylinder on the PT&T to go higher and that is not realistic.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure you are doing this but just to make sure. Is there a "trailer" button on the controls? On my I/O you have two buttons, one to raise it to run trimmed out and the other to trailer it. Just a thought.

antdog

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys.

Unfortunately, my boat is a 1984 Deckboat and the labels are gone from the control buttons on the tower. So I'm not sure if it has a button that says tilt/trailer.

HybridMX6

If you can't tilt it high enough to get the transom guard under it you will need to get a different transom guard, or modify the one you have. How much of an angle would you say the motor will tilt up to? It should go darn near to 90* up, which should be more than enough to get a transom guard under it.

antdog

Cadet

I would say it may be 45 degree tilt, if that. It clears the ground, but if I'm pulling into or out of the driveway (slight grade) the motor will sometimes scrape. It doesn't do this while driving, but clearly it needs to be higher. I don't even see how a different transom guard would even fit under it??

HybridMX6

You sure it's going all the way up? It sounds like the trim is working but the tilt is not. On my '93 60hp, it's one button on the controls. The trim will trim it up to a certain point, but then after that the tilt kicks in and quickly takes it the rest of the way up, to roughly an 80* angle, IMO. Hopefully others will chime in as I'm not too familiar with working on the TnT part of outboards. Sounds as if either your tilt is not working, needs fluid added, or something similar.
What year is the engine?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The trim rams only move about 15 degrees, the rest is the tilt ram, which extends as far as possible with the switch on the 115 OMC recreational motors. Any more than that and you would probably damage the cables anyway.

antdog

Cadet

I will try fiddling with the tilt this evening. I hadn't played with it too much because I wasn't sure of what I was doing. I will see if I can tilt it more using the tilt button.

hey, ezeke. you said that the tilt rams only move about 15 degrees, then the rest is "tilt ram" again??? A little confused on that?

I do appreciate all the help guys.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I said "The trim rams only move about 15 degrees, the rest is the tilt ram".

The trim rams are the short ones used for moving the motor under way. The long one in the center is the tilt ram that covers the wider range.

When you run the unit unit with the switch, the trim rams extend fully at first and then the tilt ram carries the motor the rest of the way up.

Attachments

• PT&T.JPG
    PT&T.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 0