Problem first time starting for the day

57guelphst

Cadet
I am having a problem with starting my 1997 Chaparral with a 4.3l. It does not want to start well for me on the first try of the day. especially if it is damp or cold. It will start after a couple turns and will idol for ruffly a min and then stalls. After 5 to 10 min's of trying to get her going she will finally start and then keep running. It will be good for the rest of the day now after this. I have tried choking more and tried choking less she runs great other then this. But this happens almost every time at the start of my day. I can start it up no problem all day long after this first time. Some one told me to check my points could that be it?

Any help would be appreciated.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Problem first time starting for the day

You have "points" in a 97' distributor?
I'm assuming the engine is carbed. Sounds like you need a choke adjustment.

57guelphst

Cadet

How do I adjust the choke? Is that the same as a throttle cable adjustment?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Check to see if the choke is closed when you start and that it fully opens once the engine is warm.

Also check that your accelerator pump is squirting gas into the carb throat when you advance the throttle. With the engine OFF, have some one advance the throttle while you look into the carb. You should see two squirts of fuel.

The only way ignition is causing this is if there is moisture in your distributor cap. Make sure the inside and outside of your cap is dry and clean.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

First question - do you know how to start a carbed engine?

What is your EXACT step by step starting procedure?

Some of your wording is a little confusing. In you first post you say I use "more choke" and "less choke", but in your second post you ask how to adjust the choke. Not sure what you mean.

Clarity is the key if we are going to get anywhere.

Also, we need to know exactly what you have, Merc, Volvo? Which carb, which distributor? If youare not sure about some of the details, post your engine S/N.

57guelphst

Cadet

Yes I do know how to use the choke. What I was trying to say was that I have tried it with more choke on and with less choke on. What I was asking is it the same as adjusting a throttle cable. No matter what I do it always wants to stall out the first time I start it. I have tried choking it alittle, alot, or not at all. I have a 4.3l merc LXH GENII O/I on a 1997 chaparral.

The engine runs like a dream other wise and I can start and stop first turn all day long after my initial start up.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes I do know how to use the choke. What I was trying to say was that I have tried it with more choke on and with less choke on. What I was asking is it the same as adjusting a throttle cable. No matter what I do it always wants to stall out the first time I start it. I have tried choking it alittle, alot, or not at all. I have a 4.3l merc LXH GENII O/I on a 1997 chaparral.

The engine runs like a dream other wise and I can start and stop first turn all day long after my initial start up.

You most certainly do not know how the choke works.
Follow the procedure Bubba pointed out. If everything is operating as it should, it will almost immediately fire up.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

What I was trying to say was that I have tried it with more choke on and with less choke on. What I was asking is it the same as adjusting a throttle cable.

Again, which is it? Are you adjusting the choke or do you need to know how?

LX should have a Weber 4bbl on it, you must bend rods on the carb to change the choke settings. I think you are confusing throttle and choke.

You still have not posted your EXACT starting procedure.

57guelphst

Cadet

I have been doing exactly what Bubba said. But what I am saying is that it will start doing that, but then when I leave it to idol for a minute to load everything in and let people on board it shuts off and then will not start for another 5 to 10 mins as i said before. After that it will start fine and then be good for the day. To me it seems like it is not getting enough fuel or spark. But I don't know what it is. Or else I would not be on here. It is a minor issue, its just irratating.

I do appreciate the help.

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

So explain to us exactly HOW you adjusting the choke "more or less"?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

To me it seems like it is not getting enough fuel or spark.

I think we will all agree with that, but we can't determine which is missing through the computer.

After it stalls, do you get two nice strong streams of gas when you pump the throttle? Have you pulled a plug wire to check spark?

The hardest thing for an engine to do is a cold start. When you leave it for a minute or so, is this immediately after starting or do you let it warm up first? When was the last COMPLETE tune up?

57guelphst

Cadet

Like Bubba said with the throttle. I push the button at the bottom of the throttle leaver and push it forward to choke the engine. I have been doing this. I have been doing it exactly how he said. I do kind of know what I am doing.

It is just that it shuts off after it has been running for a minute and then gives me problems trying to start it for the next 5 to 10 min but it will always start eventually. maybe it is just really tempermental I don't know.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to look at the choke position after your 10 minute warm up. It is very possible that you have plenty of choke when you start cold but too much after 10 minutes. You may want to have the starting position of the choke to be open a bit more than you currently have it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Like Bubba said with the throttle. I push the button at the bottom of the throttle leaver and push it forward to choke the engine.
That is the throttle...has nothing to do with choking the engine.

57guelphst

Cadet

I just had it tuned up. I can smell gas after it is starting so to me it seems like it might be spark. it will turn over but stalls out. Is there anything else I should check besides plugs on the spark side of things.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the engine is flooded when you have a hard time starting. In that case you give it full throttle and crank until it starts. Once it starts, immediately pull back the throttle so you don't over rev the engine.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Smelling gas is not diagnostic.

If you cruise up to the adults only section you can check out numbers 3 and 9. It will give you a bunch of reading and get you going in the right direction.

FWIW - carbed engines are all tempermental when cold, some more so than others. That is why everybody loves EFI. On that note though, a carbed engine should still start easily and after a brief warm up be able to idle all day long.

Two things that could be failing/working intermittantly are fuel pump and oil pressure switch. Or as mentioned above could be improper adjustment/opperation of the choke, but you will have to verify that for us.

Also, you do not have points. Mercruiser switched to electronic ignition long before '97.

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you taken the flame arrestor off to see the choke plate position before and after you have started the engine?