1976 Johnson 70 Dead Cylinder with good spark

Homedad

Cadet
Hello I just purchased this boat and first trip out to the lake I tried to full throttle and found out that the boat was only running 2500 or so rpms. I brought the boat home and checked the cylinders. Compression is good on all 3, spark is good on all 3 as well. The second cylinder is dead not combusting, plug is always wet and black I have taken the carb off and it has been rebuilt and cleaned and still having the same issue. Not sure if this is a timing issue or what but it is very frustrating. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated, I just ordered the manual but thought maybe someone might know what it was first. Spark advance says 17 degrees, I hooked a timing gun up and with it WOT it is at 17 degrees and when the throttle is at idle the timing is nowhere near the timing marks period. If anyone may know what the issue is it would be greatly appreciated.

Homedad

Cadet
Re: 1976 Johnson 70 Dead Cylinder with good spark

Figured out what the problem was, the previous owner of the motor had hooked up the 2nd cylinder coil to the 1st cylinder on the same terminal of the power pack instead of replacin the powerpack that was bad. The rectifier was grounding out and burned the 2nd cylinder terminal so instead of the guy doing the job right he tried to rig it to the 1st cylinder go figure lol. Thanks for the help