1961 merc500

coolguy147

Commander
Re: 1961 merc500

ya there good engines. just some parts r too expensive and some hard to find. luckily on my case i got great compression magneto is great belt is great just need to get a new coil and some other things.

again before working on any engine make sure compression is good check spark and put in a new impeller if not done before.

any motor really if well maintained is a good motor.

cant post a pic sorry no camera:(

coolguy147

Commander

ok today took the starter solanoid off and put tape on all the connections and put numbers on them. left rectifier connected.

took the fuel connector out. fuel pump out. both carbs out. 2moro ill work on measuring the fuel line and gonna get some parts in the mail sometime this week or next but seems like its all good.

skydailey

Cadet

To get the carbs off what very basic steps do I take? What do I unbolt first, second ect? If you could help me out that would be GREAT! Need a little guidance... Thanks

coolguy147

Commander

ur if motor is the same as mine generally speaking. its cramp and compact in there!!!!!:eek:

take magneto out but dont take out the timing part. take out electric starter. starter solnoid as well. move the rectifier but dont un hook it unless u wish to. label all ur wires to where they hook up. then take bolts off carb. trying not to disturb linkages. then rmove all carbs all at once. may have to move magento around with throttle to get to bolts and more clearence and such.

but before working on a motor. check compression spark gear oil replace impeller and such. on this motor. check rotor and cap since they will exceed the value of the motor if needed to be replaced.

skydailey

Cadet

Thank you for taking the time to inform me. I know your knee deep in your project so I appreciate you taking the time to coach me through! Look forward to seing the progress of your boat..

coolguy147

Commander

ya my boat.. not sure i will restore it since the wood doesnt kill me but the epoxy and time.

ya monday is when my parts guy will be back in town so he get the price for all the parts then shipping and such

coolguy147

Commander

ok update. i ordered all the parts i need impeller carb kit etc so far it all comes out too $130 with shipping so i guess all the parts r really like 100$

thats cheaper then my 10hp:eek:

ill will probably get parts in next week but first thing i will install is the impeller;)

jmk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am glad to read this thread. I have a 65 350 Merc and I replaced the water pump and it started right up too. It doesn't idle till warmed up and even then it stalls when putting it into gear. I bought the carb kit from Old Merc but when I saw how hard it was to get at the nut behind the starter motor I thought I would run it a few times and see. It looks like the starter wont come out even if it was unbolted. Metal frame in the way! I guess I will have to try. I have milky lower end lube too. You say it's the shifter linkage seal? How hard is it to replace that seal? I have been replacing the lube every other time I use the boat. It doesn't hold much. It sure would be nice to get it sealed up though.

coolguy147

Commander

i mean its relatively easy to work on its just that u have to take some thing out before u get to something like the to the carbs probably got to take out most things in there:confused:

ya check spark and compression it should be easy to take out the electric start it was 2 bolts for me

coolguy147

Commander

got my parts in today:D:D:D gonna install everything and such let u know how it goes

coolguy147

Commander

man was that impeller really i mean really hard to get mainly cause i had to put the key in also. ok put the wear plate on punched the cover back on nice and tight. then put the lower unit back on checked for shifting did it perfectly. now i have to wait till i get some new bolts the 5/8 cause mine were rusted out so ya good good. 2moro will work on the carbs and installing those in there and getting my new used salonoid in and checking out the electric start.

coolguy147

Commander

ok yesterday i rebuild my carbs put all new gaskets in set needle height. put new fuel line in. put a new oil line in. rebuild fuel pump and put that on put fuel connector and put all my fuel hoses in.

sometime im gonna try to reinstall all the elctric start parts and and put everything back in place and test out new salonoid i got and see if that fixed my starter problem hopely it did. then ill work on the magento next

ya i got my impeller in and nice and snug omg:eek: my fingers hurt so much it was so hard to put in:mad::(

coolguy147

Commander

I am glad to read this thread. I have a 65 350 Merc and I replaced the water pump and it started right up too. It doesn't idle till warmed up and even then it stalls when putting it into gear. I bought the carb kit from Old Merc but when I saw how hard it was to get at the nut behind the starter motor I thought I would run it a few times and see. It looks like the starter wont come out even if it was unbolted. Metal frame in the way! I guess I will have to try. I have milky lower end lube too. You say it's the shifter linkage seal? How hard is it to replace that seal? I have been replacing the lube every other time I use the boat. It doesn't hold much. It sure would be nice to get it sealed up though.

i dont remember saying anything about u sealing up lol :confused: if it were leaking i would replace all of them unless it was lots of money then id replace gear oil evry like so hours