Oil filter magnet?

Action

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have you guys ever heard of this before? i was watching power boating television today and they had this magnet that just slipped on to the bottom of the oil filter to attract metal shavings. Just wondering if anyone uses one?

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Oil filter magnet?

I have had a couple cars with a magnet on the drain plug and several lawn mowers with magnet transmission plugs. I have not seen them on the oil filters. I would assume that the filter would stop the metal and the magnet would not be needed.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

most of the metal things in a modern engine that are prone to putting particles in the oil aren't magnetic. (aluminum and brass)

ronn07

Seaman Apprentice

I have one on my Harley. It is a powerful little round magnet that I take off and reuse on all my oil filters when I do the oil changes.

Don't spend a lot of money on the "specially designed" magnet. Search eBay for an oil filter magnet and it should work just fine.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

I have had a couple cars with a magnet on the drain plug and several lawn mowers with magnet transmission plugs. I have not seen them on the oil filters. I would assume that the filter would stop the metal and the magnet would not be needed.

I also thought that's what filters were for. Good call Mike.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

dont waist your money, if you have enough magnetec particals in your oil that the filter wont take them out you have problems

bhammer

Ensign

We use similar things on turbine engine, called chip detectors. They capture the very fine metal particles that make it past the filter elements. I think the difference is though that the micron rating on turbine filters is larger than on an IC engine. Get an old speaker and mount the magnet to the bottom of the filter. Should do the same thing.

Cessna210g

Recruit

You want a chip detector before the oil filter. An oil line going to the filter. It?s designed to capture big chunks of metal before it gets to the filter. Once the chuck of metal is in the filter the only way to know is to remove the filter and cut it open and check. Chip detectors have a valve in it to prevent oil from coming out when the detector is removed. I have included two pictures of a chip detector.

eosja.jpg

16givir.jpg