Soft spots around center console

gstanford85

Cadet
Hi this is my first post on this forum. After reading some of the other threads and the responses they got i feel as though I've come to the right place.First let me tell about my boat, it's my first boat and it's a 17' proglas flatbottom cc with a evinrude hustler 75. The boat is not perfect and the deck is 90% solid feeling just in front and behind the center console feels a little soft. Both are areas about 1' - 1' 1/2 wide. I plan on cutting out a small section in both areas to try and get a look. If the stringers are good (and i pray they are) how would i repair the floor?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Soft spots around center console

Floor patches are generally a waste of time. If you have a rotten spot, chances are there is more rot that you don't know about.

First decide whether you want to be down for a month or two. If not, wait 'till fall to tear it up.

When you're ready to start, tear the whole floor up. Don't do a patch job, it'll just rot again in a few seasons or less. Once you have it up, you can assess everything below and see if your project is bigger than you thought (it typically is).

Welcome to iBoats!

gstanford85

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Not what i wanted to hear:(, but what i expected to hear.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info. Not what i wanted to hear:(, but what i expected to hear.
Wait till the season is over, make sure you have a camera or have bought one by then and post your redo here for all of us to enjoy. We love pic's :D

jonesg

Admiral

Same problem here, just fixed it actually.
If the console is screwed to the deck thats the problem, screws work loose and water seeps in, theres usually a plywood pad underneath.
The sub-deck ply gets wet and thats the sponginess.

On mine the molded deck liner was cored, so I re-cored with composite (resin/cabosil/chopped fiber) , no more wood, its very solid and will not rot again.

I cut my deck off, did stringers and transom work.
After gluing the deck back I decided against any screws thru the deck and glassed the console down from the inside, I left the outter lip on the console and sealed the screw holes in the deck with 5200.

photo on the right, when I first pulled the molded deck liner off, stringers on either side of the tank compartment/bilge were absolutely shot to bits.

photo on left, then after I glassed it back. Console is moved over to one side so I could rough sand the deck where I seamed it to the deck.
I'm at the point of waiting for the rain to stop so I can paint the deck.

Attachments

• foam.jpg
    foam.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
  • deck21.jpg
    deck21.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

First... welcome to iboats.

Read through this restoration forum and take a look at what people have faced in the past. Soft spots are cancer and cancer spreads. Sadly you might have a significant amount below the deck. Cutting an inspection hole or two is a good idea.

You will be looking for rot below the deck... examine the stringers, the foam and take a few tests in the transom with a drill. If the foam is soaked with water ....or the stringers are rotten.... bite the bullet and start your work now.

If you are lucky the rot will be limited to the decking (I doubt it but it never hurts to hope)and for a temp repair you could insert a plywood patch. Regardless you will have significant work ahead of you.

Good luck.

gstanford85

Cadet

Ok i now have an understanding of what I need to do. I did mess around with some other things on the boat(like refurbishing the aerator pump), and checked out the transom. It felt very solid and secure.:)

jonesg

Admiral

drill a small hole near the bottom of the transom if you really want to know.
I went to install a fishfinder and water came out of the little hole I drilled.
Transom felt good too. It was rotted out.
Drill a hole in a stringer and examine the drill chips, dry wood or black and wet. Fill hole with epoxy if its good.

Just painted my deck, you'll never catch up now.:)

gstanford85

Cadet

well I found out a guy i work with does floor rebuilds on the side all i have to do is buy the material. Another guy I work with used him and for about the size of job I'm looking at ,and he only charged him 50 bucks and a fishing trip.:)