Awaking 1982 115hp - idle is 1500 rpms

Justin-KS

Cadet
I have a 1982 115hp Johnson that has been sitting 2-3 years and Im starting to go through it. compression was good on all 4 cylinders (within 10%). does 135psi sound high or is my gauge funny?

Anyway the real question, the motor started up fine and idled wonderful, but was leaking fuel under the carbs. I really didn't check where it was leaking I just pulled the carbs, cleaned them, put kits in, and replaced all the fuel line from the pump to the carbs including the smaller primer line. Now when I start the motor (muffs) it is idling around 1500 rpms.

I think on muffs I want to be around 850 rpms? I don't have a manual, but is on its way. Will a link n' sync fix this? or is there different route I should go. Also by carbs had a blunt needle in them, the kits came with new seats a pointed needles, does that matter?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Awaking 1982 115hp - idle is 1500 rpms

Personally I would get it in the water if possible and see how it idles there. Make any adjustments then. Could be just the idle itself needs adjustment.

Justin-KS

Cadet

Do I want to mess with the jets, or what type of adjustments do I need to make? I know it will run faster on the muffs, but I think 1500 rpms is to high out of water. I know I might have to fine tune on the water, but thought it would easier to do some adjustments on land.

How do you adjust just the idle? Is that doing a link n' sync or can i adjust just the idle without a complete link n' sync??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is a slotted screw, on the throttle linkage, that is the idle speed stop screw, turning counter clockwise slow the idle down. you want around 1000-1100 on muffs, then fine tune in the water, with the engine in gear at idle. it never hurts to do a link n sinc.

have you serviced the water pump. that is a must do.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1500 is probably a little high, but 850 would be low. I believe that your motor is set up for 750 to 850 in gear in the water at idle. You are probably somewhere around 1000 rpm now in the water so I would drop it in and see how it runs the way it is now. Once it is warned up then I would try to fine tune it while still in the water.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

? The 1982 115 should be a crossflow motor with two two-barreled carburetors. The jets should be fixed and there should be no adjustment needle.

If you are speaking of the float valve needle, the point of the needle is actiually rubber, though the new one's look like metal. It is essential that the point be in good condition or the valve will not seat properly. Also be sure that you have the clip between the float arms and the needles correctly placed.

Attachments

• Float Valve Clip.JPG
    Float Valve Clip.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 0

Justin-KS

Cadet

Yes I have already replaced the impeller, so that is not a concern. I was able to find enough info on here to be able to do that.

I'll look at for the idle screw and slow it down a little then, Im pretty sure I need to do a link n' sync because on my bottom carb the butterfly does not look level at WOT.

I was talking about the float needle vavle, my old ones that I took out had a blunt rubber tip the new ones i put in had pointed rubber tips, didn't know if it mattered. I think I got the springs on correctly, look the same as our picture.

Thanks for the help guys! Ill put her in the water and adjust the idle down, i'll post back on the outcome.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The throttle plates in both carburetors need to be perfectly synchronized so that they open and close at exactly the same time. Use the linkage adjustment between the two carburetors to set that correctly before you adjjust the idle.

Final idle should be set in gear on the water, unrestrained, warm engine. Try to get it close to 650 RPM. Going into gear at too high RPM will damage your gears.