76 Evinrude 25 hp Delima ( WITH PIctures!!! )

texasbowhunter40

Seaman Apprentice
So I have a chance to buy this motor, but I am no mechanic. I have followed directions on the forums I read and the motor is enticing me to become a small motor mechanic.

My story is I have this little boat and it is 14 feet with a 60 in beam I believe it is a 1986 model.
It is definitely a Smoker Craft SeaKing and was told by the manufacturer it was sold at Montgomery Ward?s department stores. (I?m already rambling)

Back to the motor so I picked up this motor for 200 bucks and was told to keep it for the weekend and see if it will run the report on Monday wether I want to keep it. Good deal Right.

It?s a 25 hp evenrude been sitting in a shed for 3 years.

I open her up cleaned the carbs being careful not to change any of the settings, put some oil in the cylinders as suggested swooshed it around and manually rotated the cylinders for a minute or so, I then let it sit while I was at work.

I really am not sure at this point what to do so I hit the web and decide That I will give it a shot ( getting it running) so I go home enthusiastically proceed out to the porch and check out the progress of the lubrication. I did a compression test when I got the motor and it tested at 90 PSI and I figured it might be a little better after it had been lubed up so the second test was exactly the same.

Is 90 a good compression or not so good??

I tried to fire it up and it choked on the first pull but on the second pull it was like I had open the gates to HELL the engine revved up to full throttle and just about gave me a heart attack the throttle was set to start and it was not in gear so I am standing there for what seemed to be an eternity but was really about a second and remembered the Choke and kill button so yea the kill button did not work and when I put on the choke it did not even blink still at full power and me in a panic thinking this thing is gonna blow then it hit me, NO GAS NO Running BEAST to deal with so I pulled the gas and almost at that same moment the engine shut itself down. WOW!!!! Was that a heart thumper?

My first thought was how lucky I was and then how stupid I was for getting into this mess in the first place I'll just buy a new one is what I was really thinking.

After cooling down it made me kinda mad and so I have decided that I am gonna get this thing going.

So my questions

What the heck happened? I am pretty sure the throttle is stuck but not on the outside it all looks like it should.

Is this really worth doing?

Next is how am I ever going to explain to my wife the mess in my pants: D

But really is this a good motor? The compression should let me know but is 90 psi any good for this size motor?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 76 Evinrude 25 hp Delima

Odd. if it's in start position it should not rev that high. Maybe the rev limiter is not working. Can you post a few pics of the engine in case there's something obvious. $200 for a '76 25hp is a very good price in my area. It's got for $500 and up here.

krogie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

look inside the carb butterflies and see if the throttle is opened up or stuck, it may be stuck open due to sitting for a while.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Hide the pants:D

Motor cover off - turn the tiller while watching the carb for linkage movement. Roll it to full throttle and back to Off position.
Also watch the plate under the flywheel. make sure it dose not stick/stop along the way. You may need to free up or re-attach a linkage in that path.

texasbowhunter40

Seaman Apprentice

Odd. if it's in start position it should not rev that high. Maybe the rev limiter is not working. Can you post a few pics of the engine in case there's something obvious. $200 for a '76 25hp is a very good price in my area. It's got for $500 and up here.[/QUOTE]

29847QUOTE=samo_ott;2134305]

Here are the pictures
P6050004.jpg

P6050005.jpg

P6050006.jpg

P6050007.jpg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 76 Evinrude 25 hp Delima ( WITH PIctures!!! )

There's nothing glaring there although they're not the best photos. I'd try what was mentioned above. Check the linkage to make sure it goes end to end. watch the butterfly valve to see if it actually closes when throttled down.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Can't tell a lot from the pics unfortunately.

First pic does show The Cam follower from the carb is riding on the Throttle Cam. If the throttle is set to slow/low something is not returning the Throttle Cam. It is at 3/4 full throttle.

Top center of pic.

texasbowhunter40

Seaman Apprentice

There's nothing glaring there although they're not the best photos. I'd try what was mentioned above. Check the linkage to make sure it goes end to end. watch the butterfly valve to see if it actually closes when throttled down.

the pictures get bigger if you click on them

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

We did. take a look at first pic. see the white roller(top center) and the metal strip it is riding against? That is what opens/closes the throttle as the plate rotates.

Looking down on the motor, plate rotates counterclock for more throttle, clockwise for idle.
It pushed the roller out for more throttle and releases it for idle.

jbjennings

Captain

I'm wondering if your throttle gears are out of mesh. I'd check all the throttle gears and make sure they're meshed right. You should be able to tell since there's a flat gear tooth that fits in a flat recess amongst the other normal gear teeth. The throttle tower shaft that goes up to the armature plate is harder to check.
The throttle cam lever definitely should barely be touching the throttle cam on the armature plate when idling. If the throttle cam lever is pushed forward more than just a tiny bit when the throttle is on start, then something is wrong. BTW, are you running that motor in the water? If not, you have fried the water pump impeller and better replace it before you crank it again.
WHere are you in Texas? NOrtheast by any chance? If so pm me and maybe I'm close enough to take a peek. $200 is a good price for that motor.
I'm wondering why it quit? Worrisome. It should have had enough fuel in the bowl to run for a few seconds even after you pulled the gas line off. You can get a push button kill switch cheap at a hardware store in a farming area. (get one for a tractor) It should fit perfect. lots cheaper and easier to find than factory, and looks just as good. It should have two wires going to it. You should be able to short the two wires together and kill it while you look for a switch. Obviously, the wires themselves may be boogered up, however.
At least you know you had good spark!:p
Hope you get it running,
JBJ

texasbowhunter40

Seaman Apprentice

yes I am sure that when motor was started it was at no throttle and it is in water I am not a complete newbie I just don't work on these motors much.

I have a 9,5 johnson and a Briggs 5hp that work the same way as this rude full throttle facing motor is all the way to left and start/idle to right unless this dude is backwards.

The throttle in the pictures was stuck at that position and I have since found a small adjusting screw on the tiller to adjust and it gave me a little more movement in the throttle but it still doesn't seem to be in the right place for idle to me.

rickou812

Seaman

yes I am sure that when motor was started it was at no throttle and it is in water I am not a complete newbie I just don't work on these motors much.

I have a 9,5 johnson and a Briggs 5hp that work the same way as this rude full throttle facing motor is all the way to left and start/idle to right unless this dude is backwards.

The throttle in the pictures was stuck at that position and I have since found a small adjusting screw on the tiller to adjust and it gave me a little more movement in the throttle but it still doesn't seem to be in the right place for idle to me.

Have you checked the spider gears at the tiller joint? They may have gotten misaligned. There will be a longer tooth that should match up to a corresponding space in the other gear. Sometimes if the throttle is turned while the tiller is fully up, the gear will jump teeth.

If that is all good.
See what happens with the engine OFF, place put the engine in gear and try to throttle from idle to WOT.

texasbowhunter40

Seaman Apprentice

The gears are aligned ok and I am pretty sure the screw I adjusted has fixed the issue. I have the carb off now and will test it again tomorrow when I finish the carb kit I have a new impelor to install but plan on waiting until I find out if it will run. the previous owner said it had a new impelor when he put it in the shed for storage he also told me the lower fluids had been changed before storage.

rickou812

Seaman

The gears are aligned ok and I am pretty sure the screw I adjusted has fixed the issue. I have the carb off now and will test it again tomorrow when I finish the carb kit I have a new impelor to install but plan on waiting until I find out if it will run. the previous owner said it had a new impelor when he put it in the shed for storage he also told me the lower fluids had been changed before storage.

Sounds good, let us know how she runs!!

texasbowhunter40

Seaman Apprentice

Ok the issue of the full throttle on start has been fixed' Now It runs pretty crappy and needs a return spring on the rope pull I am pretty tired of winding that string by hand and it takes too long in between pulls.

So it's off to the parts store again tomorrow.

would like your thaughts on the rough idle

Ok first of all I adjusted the ss idle to 1 1/2 turns out like in the secret file then after about half an hour it finally started up and quickly died ( Forgot to Choke it) so after finding the amount of choke it likes it finally started and if I twisted the throttle as far left as it would go in neutral it would just idle.

Following the adjustment suggestions in the secret file I can't seem to get the thing to idle on its own I have to keep the throttle all the way to the left to make it idle like it should if the throttle were on the start setting.

What now ??

jbjennings

Captain

Tex,
The 1 1/2 turns out is just a starting point. If you get it idling at all and VERY slowly in 1/8 of a turn clockwise increments, stopping between adjustments for several seconds, you should notice the idle speed increase and if you go too far, it will begin to "sneeze" and die. If you can turn the slow speed adjustment all the way in and it doesn't affect your idle, never causing it to speed up or sneeze, then your slow speed fuel circuit is clogged up and not working, and needs to be cleaned.
Hope this helps,
JBJ