Can't wait to get the boat

My Father-in-Law (FIL), dear husband (DH) and father are sitting at the marina waiting for our boat to be finished. My FIL took our boat to one of the local marinas to be summerized and gone over (it has been in storage for 3 years, my mom gave it to us last fall). It has had some repairs done and the guy at the marina told FIL on Tues that his day off is Wed, but he would have his guys finish it up, they didn't. My FIL calls guys first thing this morning and finds out the boat isn't ready yet. He got highly upset and has decided to go down there and sit and watch him finish the job. I am thinking this is not going to help matters, but what can I do, I am at work. I would be happy if the boat was ready for the weekend but dear FIL can't wait. He doesn't seem to get it that when a boat sits for that long, things happen and that the mechanic can't just get it done in two days (ok, three weeks but he had to order parts). I know my FIL has wanted a boat all his life and is very excited about it, as am I, but I can't imagine sitting at the marina, watching over his shoulder, is going to help any. My poor DH.

I feel like telling him if he doesn't like the service there ask around at the dock and see if anyone knows someone faster for the next time.

Sorry just needed to rant a little.

Lisa

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Can't wait to get the boat

I feel for you, your DH and the PM (poor mechanic). It is no fun to work with 3 sets of eyes watching your every move. They may hurry and get it done, but the question is, will it be done correctly???? Good luck and I hope it turns out well for all parties involved.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Make other plans for the weekend. Your men will likely be sitting there till next Tuesday.

I tried to call DH about 45 mins ago and no answer. I am hoping it is because he can't hear the phone over the boat engine :) I should know soon, FIL has to work tonight so they need to be off the water by 4 to get him home in time. I hope we can fish this weekend.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Nothing is more annoying than people watching you while you work. . You seem to forget a couple small details due to added pressure. On the other hand, why is it that a boat / car / home repair or any other type of service you have performed is never finished by the original stated completion time? You can't get mad at the mechanic, heck, I changed my gimbal bearing, and it took a lot longer than expected.

I was right. They were out and about. They took it from Hampden down to the Penobscot Bay and back. Sounds like a good time was had by all, even my father. Fishing this weekend on the boat. Yippeee!!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

All's well that ends well...congrats and have fun fishing on the boat:)