Bushnell Trail Camera On Dock?

NJA Pilot

Cadet
Items keep disappearing off my boat from my private dock.
I've got a plan to get a Bushnell Sentry Trail Camera with Night Vision to catch the culprit in the act!

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this, it's a floating dock where the camera will be mounted to a fixed piling. I wonder if the slight movement of the boat (due to wake) would trigger the camera constantly.
Any advice?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bushnell Trail Camera On Dock?

suggest you consult the mfgr representative.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From using trail cameras for hunting I can tell you that yes, the movement from the boat can set off the trigger, but if you put in a large enough memory card that shouldn't be a problem. You'll just have to go through a lot of blank pictures to find the ones you want. You can get 2GB cards for not much money, and at the highest setting on most trail cameras a 2GB card will hold well over 1000 pictures.

And you can still see the flash on the infrared or nightvision cameras. The LEDs glow red when they're on, but you pretty much have to be looking at the camera to see it. You can limit this by putting a piece of smoke-colored plastic over the flash, but that also limits the length of the flash, which is usually only around 30 ft. Plus a lot of cameras make a little bit of noise when they take a picture. There are some cameras that do have truly invisible flashes and silent triggers, but they may cost more than you want to spend.

There is a trigger delay on trail cameras, and the length varies among different camera models, and can be up to several seconds. Plus trail cameras don't always give the clearest pictures. Also be aware that the nightvision pictures will be black and white.

For more detailed specs and reviews for different trail cameras go to trailcampro.com and chasingame.com. If you haven't already purchased the camera, I would go to those sites and do some research and find one that will be the best for you.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the camera is visible and flashes the thief will just steal the camera also.

BumbleBeeTuna

Seaman

If it has night vision why would it need to flash?

As long as there are no lights indicating that it is running I don't see someone noticing it unless it is out in the open.

Splat

Lieutenant

Most trail cameras use a series of infra red LEDs as a flash. Although infrared is out of our visual range LEDs are just enough innefecient to allow us to see some light. Thus when the camera "flashes" by turning on the LED array we are able to see it if looking directly at the camera.

Bill

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To see infrared LEDs light up you'd have to have some pretty awesome vision or some pretty crappy LEDs. To even test an LED infrared array your best bet is to use another camera. I would highly doubt the thief would notice.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

an inexpensive electric fence set up from tractor supply might also be useful in this situation....

Another thought would be a wireless web cam. most of the software packages incorporate motion detection functions...

both of the above could make for an entertaining video clip

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about a pittbull with aids left in the boat? then the camera would be irrelevant. just follow the blood trail. I hate a thief.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Have you asked your neighbors if they have items missing? Could be your neighbors taking your stuff.

NJA Pilot

Cadet

I love the pitbull and electric fence idea! I've spend many a night stalking the little crackheads but no avail...yet!
Next question... who should I call when I catch these guys and I end up in jail?

NJA Pilot

Cadet

From using trail cameras for hunting I can tell you that yes, the movement from the boat can set off the trigger, but if you put in a large enough memory card that shouldn't be a problem. You'll just have to go through a lot of blank pictures to find the ones you want. You can get 2GB cards for not much money, and at the highest setting on most trail cameras a 2GB card will hold well over 1000 pictures.

And you can still see the flash on the infrared or nightvision cameras. The LEDs glow red when they're on, but you pretty much have to be looking at the camera to see it. You can limit this by putting a piece of smoke-colored plastic over the flash, but that also limits the length of the flash, which is usually only around 30 ft. Plus a lot of cameras make a little bit of noise when they take a picture. There are some cameras that do have truly invisible flashes and silent triggers, but they may cost more than you want to spend.

There is a trigger delay on trail cameras, and the length varies among different camera models, and can be up to several seconds. Plus trail cameras don't always give the clearest pictures. Also be aware that the nightvision pictures will be black and white.

For more detailed specs and reviews for different trail cameras go to trailcampro.com and chasingame.com. If you haven't already purchased the camera, I would go to those sites and do some research and find one that will be the best for you.

Thanks for the reply Sccatfish, I appreciate you knowledge on the matter.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

I suggest you lock the boat well and take your valuables away.
If you get an alarm system that would be good too

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I love the pitbull and electric fence idea! I've spend many a night stalking the little crackheads but no avail...yet!
Next question... who should I call when I catch these guys and I end up in jail?

I would not call anybody. They would have to find the body's first (in the deepest part of the lake)

Not really but i like the idea. :D

bhammer

Ensign

To see infrared LEDs light up you'd have to have some pretty awesome vision or some pretty crappy LEDs. To even test an LED infrared array your best bet is to use another camera. I would highly doubt the thief would notice.

I have a kit from WiLife and their NightVision illuminator (http://www.wilife.com/Products/PartsAccessories.aspx) used to light up an area that is real dark at night. Sure enough, you can see the red glow from the LEDs when they are on.

NoKlu

Would the camera need to be pointed at the boat? Point it at the end of the dock where it would get them coming and going and not be set off by the movement of the waves. You need to do your homework on the trailcams because a lot of them don't work as advertised. The delay from when the cam catches the movement and when it takes the picture can be very long and you miss the subject. There is a very good site that compares the camera's, I'll see if I can find it again.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Trip wires and flares...

NoKlu

I can't seem to find the site I was thinking of but if you google trail camera comparisons you will get lots of good info on them. One hunting site I belong to has had several discussions about security and they seem to come back to the infrared wireless security cameras that they sell at costco as being the best set up to record at night.