1999 50HP Johnson\Evinrude Lower Unit Problem???

rsimmons75

Cadet
I was wondering if anyone has experience with Johnson\Evinrude lower units. I had my boat out last week on a two day fishing\camping trip. On the first day I used the motor for several hours running from spot to spot, fishing. Late in the afternoon the motor wouldn't start. I noticed that I was getting oil rings popping up around the motor. So, I trimmed it up and got a discharge from the prop shaft that can be best described as chocolate milk and then started to smoke from the same shaft. I lowered it back into the water to help in cool. I was then forced to use the trolling motor all the way back to camp. Two hours and six miles later I made it back. So, I'm guessing its the lower unit??? What do I need to repair it??? I'm guessing several gasket kits and maybe an impeller. In the shop manual I don't see a impeller for this model motor. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Evinrude\Johnson
Year: 1999
HP: 50
Model: 50PLEE

hartnetthere

Cadet
Re: 1999 50HP Johnson\Evinrude Lower Unit Problem???

I can only offer this bit since I recently removed the lower unit on the same engine. To remove the lower unit you will need to disconnect the shift lever. Do that by removing a 3/8" hex head bolt that is virtually impossible to see or remove due to other componets.

I removed the starter, then it was easily accessed. You may want to stuff a rag into the shaft hole before you begin in case ( and again before you reinstall) in case the bolt falls and you know it will want to go down that hole.

Attachments

• shift lever removal (Small).jpg
    shift lever removal (Small).jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0

rsimmons75

Cadet

Thanks for the advise hartnetthere. Did you have the same problem with the milky chocolate oil discharge from the prop shaft? is that a lower unit problem? What parts\kits did you have to buy to get the job done?

hartnetthere

Cadet

I had water in the lower unit oil due to leaking seal on the shift rod housing, but no discharge. Once you get the lower unit off either take it to a shop or perform a pressure test yourself (my manual has the procedure on page 6-22) to see which seal(s) leaks. I took the lower unit to a shop. they tested and repaired it.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's probably not going to make the engine not start unless you were in gear still. The "milky" substance is probably unburnt fuel/oil coming out of the exhaust, which exits out the center of the propellor. You need to find out why the engine won't start. Would the engine turn over but not start or would it not turn over at all? 1st and easiest thing to check is the kill switch lanyard, make sure it's plugged in. I'd pull it out and puch it back in a time or two just to see if it makes a difference. If the engine won't even turn over, we need to find out why. Sounds more like it is though if you have exhaust coming out the prop, or at least unburnt exhaust.
Next thing to check is if you have spark, but we'll get to that later, lets figure out the real problem first.

rsimmons75

Cadet

It wasn't the kill switch. This was the first thing I checked and took off and reset several times. The motor will not turn over at all. It just cranks and cranks. Should I check the plugs? Starter?

rsimmons75

Cadet

I have also noticed that it seems to be burning more oil too. The last couple times out it is something I noticed. I don't know if this helps....

rsimmons75

Cadet

I also called my local repair shop and described the same thing as I have described here. Without skipping a beat the mechanic said it was the lower unit (impeller and seals) and went into great detail about it. I have a friend that has done this before and consider myself fairly mechanical. So, I wanted to save a buck and do it myself. I just need to find out what I need to do it. So, I don't know what to do now.

HybridMX6

Do you know how to drain the lower units oil and refilll it? If so, check it out and see if it's milky or not, or what comes out. Put a container under it before letting anything out, and only let a small amount out of it and plug it back up. Inspect the oil carefully for anything: water (which will make it milky), metal, etc. If the motor will spin but not crank, I don't see if being the lower unit. I'm not saying the lower is fine, we'll see, but typically, if it's the lower and something is wrong in it, it will freeze/lock up, at the same time locking the motor in gear, and you won't be able to get the engine to turn at all, not even with the starter, unless it breaks something on the inside of the engine crankcase. I still say if you can get the engine to turn over with the starter (not actually start, but spin the engine) do a spark check and see if it's getting spark. If it is, something is wrong with your fuel delivery, if you have no spark, obviously it's something spark related and we will need to figure out what it is.

rsimmons75

Cadet

So the oil is milky but no metal shavings. The motor does spin (turning the prop). When I had it on the water and this all started the motor would crank but not turn over. Is it possible voltage was to low on the battery? I killed the battery trying to start it but this was after many atemps. How do I do a spark check? should i pull the plugs to see what condition they are in? If it is fuel system, could it be a clogged fuel filter?

rsimmons75

Cadet

So, I just gapped and replaced the spark plugs just because I had a pair. When i put the engine in gear and spin the fly wheel on the top of the engine housing the prop turns. So, I guess I need to check if I'm getting spark to the plugs. How would I go about this?

HybridMX6

So you drained the LU oil and that was milky, or just the oil you saw in the water was? If it's just what you saw in the water, it could still be the exhaust, since it's just unburnt fuel and oil.
With the engine in gear, I don't know how hard it is to turn the motor over by hand, but you can do that with the engine not in gear. It will have to be out of gear (meaning in neutral) for the engine to start anyways.
How did the old plugs look when you pulled them out? Soaking wet with oil/fuel or dry? If you try to start it now with a fully charged battery and it still doesn't start, pull the new plugs and see if they are wet with fuel or dry. If wet, I'd bet on a spark issue, if they are dry, it's going to lean towards a fuel issue.
You can buy a spark tester at an auto parts store for under $10 that has an adjustable gap, so just get one of those. It will have instructions on the back of it for how to use it.

rsimmons75

Cadet

No, I just drained about a quarter cup from the LU and it was milky. I will try the plug test next.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would check the oil seal behind the prop as well.

rsimmons75

Cadet

Update....
So, I replaced the oil in the lower unit (no problems with water intrusion). Replaced the plugs and did a spark test. Everything looked good so I decided to try and start it. I put on the ear muffs and she started on the first crank. I did this about four more time over an hour period and she started perfect each time. Feeling confident took her out yesterday for a little fishing trip with a buddy. Started just as easy all morning (5 or 6 times). Then she would'nt start again in the afternoon. After getting home checked the battery thinking it was a voltage\charge problem. It was holding at 12.5 volts, good to go. next pulled the spark plugs and guess what they were wet with gas and oil. So, I'm guessing the carb needs some attention. Anyone got any ideas? Should I be concerned about anything else?

Rockheadslim

Recruit

Update....
So, I replaced the oil in the lower unit (no problems with water intrusion). Replaced the plugs and did a spark test. Everything looked good so I decided to try and start it. I put on the ear muffs and she started on the first crank. I did this about four more time over an hour period and she started perfect each time. Feeling confident took her out yesterday for a little fishing trip with a buddy. Started just as easy all morning (5 or 6 times). Then she would'nt start again in the afternoon. After getting home checked the battery thinking it was a voltage\charge problem. It was holding at 12.5 volts, good to go. next pulled the spark plugs and guess what they were wet with gas and oil. So, I'm guessing the carb needs some attention. Anyone got any ideas? Should I be concerned about anything else?

I had virtually the same issue with my 99 johnson 25 hp. The culprit of the non starting was a bad ground wire on the back of the powerpack. Check all your grounding on the back of the pack for bent wires cracks etc. Also check the wires that lead from the pack to the charge coils and the connection. They can sometimes become corroded.