do I really need a volt guage on my console?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
still wiring up and setting up my new boat..

I picked up a bunch of guages to be able to monitor stuff.

One was a voltage guage..

I only have one big new dual purpose battery...

do I need to have a volt guage on my console...I have precious room to be drilling holes to mount guages i wont ever look at...

got a water pressure gauge , because I have a hydraulic jack Plate

I got a water temp guage..

I got a BIG Tachometer

I got a guage for telling me how high my jack plate is

I have a guage to tell me how my motor trim is

thanks

bob

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: do I really need a volt guage on my console?

Well, you don't necessarily NEED a volt gauge. However, it is a very nice luxury to have. Well, not really, because if you go to start the boat, and the battery is dead, well that volt gauge ain't gonna help now. It would help to know how much all of your electronics and accessories are drawing off of your battery, but if you're confident, then it should be no big deal.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you are going out to the middle of a lake or into the ocean and you don't care if you can start your motor after you stop because your alternator failed then....you are right...you don't need one.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can sacrifice the OB trim gauge for the voltmeter. Trimming is by feel anyway, and the gauges are very inaccurate.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The most useless of the gauges you mentioned is the trim gauge. The seat of your pants and the tach is the best trim indicator you can have. So if space is an issue, replace the trim gauge with a voltmeter that actually serves a useful purpose. Even a depth sounder is a better tool than a trim gauge.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Does your depth finder have a voltage meter built in?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

The most useless of the gauges you mentioned is the trim gauge. The seat of your pants and the tach is the best trim indicator you can have. So if space is an issue, replace the trim gauge with a voltmeter that actually serves a useful purpose. Even a depth sounder is a better tool than a trim gauge.

you know the old codger I talk to all the time at the marine repair store I bought my 50 hp from , and have been buying as much used stuff as he has that will fit the 70 and the 90 I recently bought...................

SAYS the same thing...the trim guage is useless.... he GAVE me one and laughed.. ha ha

I was thinkign id like a gauge for stuff I adjust often...to return to previously found settings..

thats why i THOUGHT i wanted a trim guage.

now I have had three motor boats so far and none have ever had a voltage guage...thus my wondering if I really need one.

so if my alternator dies.....the voltage gauge will tell me so.. and I need to make sure I dont turn the motor off if the battery might be weak..

I recently bought an Interstate dual purpose battery 950 CCA 195 reserve size 31.....

I have a voltage guage...so i can install it...still dont know where the wires to it come from

battery? ignition alone?

that is besides the negative and the light power source.....

bob

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Trim settings change depending on load in the boat, water conditions, speed, and personal preference. There is never one optimum setting for all conditions. The only real need for this gauge would be where you can't see the engine or outdrive from the helm.

to install a voltmeter, connect the + terminal to any terminal on any other gauge that is hot when the key is on. Usually thats the "I" terminal. Connect the ground wire to the ground terminal on any other gauge or to the ground bus on the fuse panel if you have one. The internal light connects to the "L" terminal (light) on any other gauge.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Either a voltmeter or an ammeter are the best way to know that your motor is not charging the battery before the battery goes dead. If you run a troller with the outboard off the voltmeter will warn you when you are getting low on electrons.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I dislike the ammeter. I hate to put all that current through a meter. One more thing to cause problems. The voltmeter works just fine.

BTW - I had a bad voltmeter once and found the alternator had gone bad in the middle of the lake. Got a new meter with the new alternator. Never again.