9.9 carburetor vs. 15hp carb test results with GPS

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
The motor: Standard 1984 Johnson 9.9 hp motor. The extra 15 hp carb came off a 1979 Evinrude. The prop was an aluminum 9.5 X 10.

The boat: 15' aluminum Gregor v-hull modified into a bass boat. The boat with gear including myself weighed approximately 600 lbs during testing but that is a guess.

First test: I launched the boat in the river and idled out not knowing what to expect since I usually run a 30 hp Suzuki. I got out to deep enough water and opened it up. The boat took off fairly slow and for a moment I wasn't sure if the 9.9 was going to get it on plane. It took about 10 seconds but the bow was up and I was picking up speed eventually topping out at as high as 16 mph but the average speed was about 15.5 mph. I noticed the tilt pin was in the lowest position so I moved it to the third hole and redone the tests. With the outboard up a bit I could tell the boat picked up speed a little bit faster from the hole and ended up topping out at 17.6 mph but probably averaged around 17mph since the gps was fluctuating anytime the breeze blew. I tried other positions but the 3rd hole was the fastest.

I pulled the boat off to the side and swapped the 9.9 carb for the 15 carb. Took about 10 minutes and the conditions for everything was identical when I tested the 9.9.

I took off and the power difference was noticeable. I picked up speed alot faster and it just felt like I had more control of the boat with the extra HP.
I had the pin in the the 3rd hole and it the top speed fluctuated between 18-19 mph.
I moved the pin up to the 4th hole and was able to get the boat up to 20.2 mph. None of the other positions improved top end speed.

Top end speed only improved 2.5-3mph (not that great) but the most noticeable difference was the hole shot and handling. The 15hp took off and got up to speed with better handling characteristics unlike the 9.9 which struggled to get up to speed and maintain that speed when the breeze picked up.

I also had an old 30hp Tohatsu that I picked up for cheap that I tested real quick that day. It got up to a little over 25 mph quick but that was it.
I tested my mid 80's 30hp a while back with at least 200 more pounds of payload and it got up to 27 mph on the gps.

If someone had a 9.9 and was wanting to do a 15hp carb swap I would say its worth the approximate $150 it would cost to get one off ebay.

iwombat

Captain
Re: 9.9 carburetor vs. 15hp carb test results with GPS

So, bottom line was not much of an improvement in HP, but a big improvement in torque. Good to know.

As I wrote earlier, to the consternation of self-appointed 'experts' on this site, you upgraded from 9.9 to 15 hp. A comparison of the 9.9 and 15 the Evinrude parts manual on the web is enough to confirm this on paper. Congratulations for trying it instead of listening to hot wind. Experiments are necessary ... .

The motor: Standard 1984 Johnson 9.9 hp motor. The extra 15 hp carb came off a 1979 Evinrude. The prop was an aluminum 9.5 X 10.

The boat: 15' aluminum Gregor v-hull modified into a bass boat. The boat with gear including myself weighed approximately 600 lbs during testing but that is a guess.

First test: I launched the boat in the river and idled out not knowing what to expect since I usually run a 30 hp Suzuki. I got out to deep enough water and opened it up. The boat took off fairly slow and for a moment I wasn't sure if the 9.9 was going to get it on plane. It took about 10 seconds but the bow was up and I was picking up speed eventually topping out at as high as 16 mph but the average speed was about 15.5 mph. I noticed the tilt pin was in the lowest position so I moved it to the third hole and redone the tests. With the outboard up a bit I could tell the boat picked up speed a little bit faster from the hole and ended up topping out at 17.6 mph but probably averaged around 17mph since the gps was fluctuating anytime the breeze blew. I tried other positions but the 3rd hole was the fastest.

I pulled the boat off to the side and swapped the 9.9 carb for the 15 carb. Took about 10 minutes and the conditions for everything was identical when I tested the 9.9.

I took off and the power difference was noticeable. I picked up speed alot faster and it just felt like I had more control of the boat with the extra HP.
I had the pin in the the 3rd hole and it the top speed fluctuated between 18-19 mph.
I moved the pin up to the 4th hole and was able to get the boat up to 20.2 mph. None of the other positions improved top end speed.

Top end speed only improved 2.5-3mph (not that great) but the most noticeable difference was the hole shot and handling. The 15hp took off and got up to speed with better handling characteristics unlike the 9.9 which struggled to get up to speed and maintain that speed when the breeze picked up.

I also had an old 30hp Tohatsu that I picked up for cheap that I tested real quick that day. It got up to a little over 25 mph quick but that was it.
I tested my mid 80's 30hp a while back with at least 200 more pounds of payload and it got up to 27 mph on the gps.

If someone had a 9.9 and was wanting to do a 15hp carb swap I would say its worth the approximate $150 it would cost to get one off ebay.

iwombat

Captain

Sandhammer, I think you need to go read again. He didn't get a 15hp at all as verified by the small difference in top-end speed. He got a high torque 11hp (or so). Torque = hole shot, HP = top end speed. Adding the 15hp exhaust tube would have given him higher RPMs and better top end speed.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Sandhammer, I think you need to go read again. He didn't get a 15hp at all as verified by the small difference in top-end speed. He got a high torque 11hp (or so). Torque = hole shot, HP = top end speed. Adding the 15hp exhaust tube would have given him higher RPMs and better top end speed.

Exactly.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

I SCREWED UP ON THE INFO SO TAKE NOTE.......................

Actually the outboard used was a 15 hp motor so the exhaust tube has been taken out of the equation.
So this was a reverse test. A 15 with a 9.9 carb.

In my opinion with the hole shot and top end speed of all the outboards (including both 30 hp motors) 3 mph is all your gonna get with a lot better hole shot and pick up speed regardless of the exhaust tube.

Maybe the experts can figure out what this new info means if anything since all I can do is guess.

iwombat

Captain

Actually, looking at the '79 it's one of the years where the exhaust tube was the same on both models. I guess that pretty much goes with what people have been saying about the early 15s being more like 12s.

I recall going from a mid-80s 9.9 to the same vintage 15hp on my 14-foot tinny was a very noticeable difference at top end. A whole lot more than you seem to have been able to get with just a carb swap.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

A 5 mph increase in top end speed with alot more torque is going to feel like your running with the "big boys" when your used to a smaller hp motor taking its sweet time getting up on plane.

I only got 5mph more with double the HP but also a ton or torque.

iwombat

Captain

What would really put this whole thing to rest (one way or another) is to baseline both a 15hp and a 9.9hp from the same year, and carb-swap the 9.9.

But, the real telling thing here is that OMC started adding more differences to the 15hp as time went on. I don't think they did it because it was fun, or cheap.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OK, so this does not prove that putting a 15 hp carb on a 9.9hp increases anything. it just shows that putting a 9.9 on a 15 slows it down.

i would like to see the results of the rumor, that the 9.9 can become a 15hp by changing the carb, to a 15 hp carb.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Besides,nobody mentioned using a different propeller which could have changed the results

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

OK, so this does not prove that putting a 15 hp carb on a 9.9hp increases anything. it just shows that putting a 9.9 on a 15 slows it down.

i would like to see the results of the rumor, that the 9.9 can become a 15hp by changing the carb, to a 15 hp carb.

I second these comments 100%
Who's going to try it ???
I only have a spare 7.5hp Merc to play with.

wbeaton

Commander

I'm beginning to feel like I HAVE to borrow a 15 hp carb from work to try on my 1985 9.9 hp and put this issue to rest once and for all.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interestig posts I have a 9.9 merc are they as swichable as the jhonson 9.9 and 15. I would be interested to see what the gas useage difference was. I'm loohing for a cheap jon boat (hard to find) for those short trips just to save some gas. Some of my fishing holes are within 2 minutes of the dock a little night crappie and cats.

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wbeaton, please borrow the parts, this is killing me!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wayne if you can do it. that would be great.

iwombat

Captain

I'm beginning to feel like I HAVE to borrow a 15 hp carb from work to try on my 1985 9.9 hp and put this issue to rest once and for all.

You'd also have to borrow a 15hp motor so you could compare the OEM 15hp to the modified 9.9.

wbeaton

Commander

You'd also have to borrow a 15hp motor so you could compare the OEM 15hp to the modified 9.9.

That would be easy. I have a 1986 Evinrude 15 on my bench at work waiting for a water test. That is close enough to my 1985 9.9 hp. The problem is making the time. I'll try to do it this month and put this issue to rest once and for all. Keep in mind, the test would only be good for 1985-86 vintage OMC's.

iwombat

Captain

One data point beats no data points.

Be sure to get compression readings for both prior to testing.