Engine Harness Plug?

BartJ

Cadet
I have a mercruiser with an intermittent starting problem.(only a couple of times) I have posted about it before. I have Don's "trouble shooting starting problems..." and my test light ready to go and can not get the darn thing not to start! The three or four times it would not start over the last year is after it has been running and is shut down for 10 -15 minutes. Seems to be heat related? The local marina put a new starter in and slave solenoid. Not it since the problem occurred after that again. Yesterday I tried to get it not to start. I even put a smalll heater in the engine department to get it nice and warm. Still started. (something is wrong with me complaining about an engine that starts!) So, I take hold of the engine harness plug and try to move it. The engine skips for a second and I think huh? Could it be the harness plug? I saw in the test sequence it said it could be. What should I look for there? There is a hose clamp around the plug. I assume if I loosen that I can pull it apart? What should I look for? I really would like to find the cause of the starting problem if only I could get it to not start again!

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine Harness Plug?

i would start by unpluging it and get some clr and a little brass brush, clean those and all the starting/ground contacts
disconnect the battery and clean the holes by spraying a bit of clr, make your contacts are shiny clean.
then do troubleshooting as per dons guide

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine Harness Plug?

corrosion (pull harness plug,clean plug pins and sockets),, loose plug, (tighten clamp)