Possible Seized Engine/Crank...how can i fix it

boonerjohn1

Cadet
I recently was given a 1961 5 1/2 hp Johnson Sea-Horse by my granddad. I can remember it running when I was younger, but it hasn't run in a long time as far as I know. The pull cord works fine when it is not in contact with the actual crank shaft, but when it is in contact, it wont turn at all. I can take the pull cord and its case off and i can turn it with my hands, but its fairly difficult. My dad and I think that the engine or the crank shaft or both might be seized up, but we aren't sure. If that is the case, is there any way to fix it?
model #: CD-18
Serial #2180264

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0946.jpg
    Copy of IMG_0946.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0
  • lower quality.JPG
    lower quality.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • lower quality 2.JPG
    lower quality 2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 0

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Possible Seized Engine/Crank...how can i fix it

I'd take the spark plugs out, and spray a little wd-40 up in the cylinders and see how easy the flywheel turns by hand. Is your motor in gear? IF so, then the pull starter won't work. Make sure it's in neutral.
If you take out the plugs and it's still hard to turn, then take the lower unit off. I believe you may have to take off the powerhead (not as hard as it sounds) to remove the shift rod connector so the lower unit will come off. That way you can determine if it's the powerhead that's sticky or the lower unit.
Get the flywheel and crank/pistons moving freely, then measure compression, and we'll go from there.
You should look in the "top secret files" thread at the top of this forum for more helpful info that will apply to your motor. Especially the "awakening a sleeping outboard" thread.
Later,
JBJ

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

put in neutral and see if you can turn the prop. i like to set them plup holes up with cylinder 1/2 & 1/2 with of marvel mystery oil in them for a while. definitely looks like power head has to come off for shift linkage.

boonerjohn1

Cadet

OK, so I took out the spark plugs and squirted in WD-40, but that didn't help. Then I started messing around with the prop and the stuff under the actual engine, which is what I suspect to be the casing for the drive shaft, but I might be wrong. When I got off one set of screws, I was able to pull it down a little bit, which I think disengaged the drive shaft. After I did this, the engine turned over very easily when i pulled on the start cord. However, i have no idea what this means is wrong, or how to get into the casing for the drive shaft. I have a picture attached of what it looked like after i pulled the bottom half of the casing and "drive shaft" down a little bit.

Attachments

• low quality disengaged drive shaft 1.JPG
    low quality disengaged drive shaft 1.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • low quality disengaged drive shaft 2.JPG
    low quality disengaged drive shaft 2.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 0

boonerjohn1

Cadet

so i have isolated the piece that has the problem. it is a section of the shaft that will not turn at all. i dont know how to get it unstuck. here are some pictures

Attachments

• boat 002 low.JPG
    boat 002 low.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 0

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That picture shows the pinion gear in the LU. Does it not turn freely? it sounds like the shock absorber in the lower unit has busted. There is a recoil spring in there that when it breaks it will tighten up the driveshaft. It is #44 in the photo. This is an older drawing but yours is very similar.

Attachments

• 5.5 LU.jpg
    5.5 LU.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0

fix_it

Seaman Apprentice

I had one of those that the shock absorber kinda expanded on. It did not break though. Just had to push it back together in a vise. If you look inside the shock absorber (through the hole in the end) you can see the spring. If it is not broken, you might try to squeeze it back together end to end.

boonerjohn1

Cadet

Yeah #44 is what won't turn. Do you know how to fix it or where I can get one and how much it would run me

boonerjohn1

Cadet

Ok so I got the piece out at cleaned it up and it turns now, but what type of lubricant should I be using on it?

william murrin

Recruit

take the spark plug out......pour in lots of oil.......turn flywheel back and forth with hands.....let the oil work into the dry bearings....."dont" turn engine dry!!
you might break the rings............easy does it................mrbill