69, 6HP, Went through the basics??????

joeyfass

Cadet
Hello all, I am brand new to this but from my experience these forums can be a great help so here we go...
Okay so I have a 1969 6hp, Evinrude, It starts easy enough but as it runs, it will start to miss. If you're actually on the lake and under load as its missing it loses RPM and sounds like its going to die, but it doesn't. It will continue to run but continue to intermittently miss and kinda stutter.

Points are clean and set at .020, Spark plugs are gapped at .030,
I just put brand new fuel in mixed at 50:1,
After running, the bottom plug will be wet, top one dry(normal) even if you switch the plugs themselves.

It seems as though either I'm not getting spark to the bottom plug, or its getting to much fuel. Any suggestions? Its nice out this weekend, this is killin' me! Thanks in advance!

crxess

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 69, 6HP, Went through the basics??????

Easy check. Is squeeze ball going weak? Sounds like fuel pump diaphragm has a leak. Leak would flow into lower cylinder fouling plug.

Remove pump from side of motor. Squeeze ball and look for fuel drip at back of pump.

CATransplant

Admiral

That year's 6hp uses the old universal magneto. If the coils have not been changed, they're probably failing. That would account for the miss and the wet plug. As the engine warms up, you get a coil failure, intermittent now, but soon to be permanent.

The fix is a set of new coils, if yours show any sign of cracking. Also, you could have worn points with too small a gap, which will also cause missing.

Sounds like it's time to pull the flywheel and replace stuff. It's not very expensive, and all the parts are available right here on iboats.com.

joeyfass

Cadet

So, yesterday I was looking at the magnetos and they both look fairly new as well as the points and plugs. The guy I bought it off of said he replaced all that during his winterization last year. Is there any way of testing the magnetos? Maybe a continuity test or something? One of the points,(the one that controls the lower cylinder) does look slightly worn, or just abnormal, it has alot of metallic dust surrounding it. Could this indicate a problem?

I also tried the test with the fuel pump as recommended, removed the fuel pump, pumped the ball, and squeezed fuel all over the place, hahaha, I don't think that was supposed to happen. It came from the back side where that little port is, and in between every gap in the diaphragms in the pump.

Thanks for your help guys, and CATransplant, I like the comment about your aluminum boat!

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Is it a 4 bolt pump? If so, put 2 screws with nuts in the 2 mounting holes. Snug up and squeeze bulb again. If gas comes from the rear hole, pump is trash. Replace.

joeyfass

Cadet

Yeah, it is, I was thinking about that, I'll have to do some digging in my garagr and see if I can find some small nuts and bolts to put through there.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The way to check the magneto is to use a spark tester to see if the bottom plug is sparking. You can get a spark tester at just about any auto parts store.

joeyfass

Cadet

Well, after putting the bolts through the pump, and pumping it up, it didn't leak at all. So the fuel pump checks out ok.
Looks like I'll be buying some magnetos and contacts, the good part is, the price.

joeyfass

Cadet

I'm off to NAPA to get a spark tester. I'm a diesel mechanic by profession so I guess it'll be a boat only type tool. hahaha. Oh well