old johnson wants to live!

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok, got this 69' 33 horse electric start that wants to run. Went through the ignition system under the flywheel ,all is good , has good hot blue spark both cylinders. Replaced fuel line, hooked it up to check for leaks and it is not leaking but after priming the bulb all the way if it sits for a minute or so the fuel retreats in the fuel line some(I know cause it's clear fuel line)I hook it up to the battery turn the key and it wants to start. backfires a bit but when I release the key it gives up.I haven'tcleaned the carb yet (Iknow,Iknow) that was my next step. I was thinking though that even just spraying some fuel mix in there it'd run for a little bit , but it doesnt. just tries.

One thing I noticed was that two bolts where the starter mounts to the bottom are missing and smoke is coming out of these holes a little bit. Desperately trying to get this baby running. There is a filter on this engine but I dont see a fuel pump behind it...

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: old johnson wants to live!

You will have to get a fuel pump of course, but you can let gravity do the job temporarily if you set the tank higher than the motor. Part #0388685.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

ok, got this 69' 33 horse electric start that wants to run. Went through the ignition system under the flywheel ,all is good , has good hot blue spark both cylinders. Replaced fuel line, hooked it up to check for leaks and it is not leaking but after priming the bulb all the way if it sits for a minute or so the fuel retreats in the fuel line some(I know cause it's clear fuel line)I hook it up to the battery turn the key and it wants to start. backfires a bit but when I release the key it gives up.I haven'tcleaned the carb yet (Iknow,Iknow) that was my next step. I was thinking though that even just spraying some fuel mix in there it'd run for a little bit , but it doesnt. just tries.

One thing I noticed was that two bolts where the starter mounts to the bottom are missing and smoke is coming out of these holes a little bit. Desperately trying to get this baby running. There is a filter on this engine but I dont see a fuel pump behind it...

Put the fool bolts in!! You have a large induction leak through the open holes. In layman's terms, it is sucking air--badly.

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, yeah thought so on the bolts thanks, about the fuel pump can you look at this photo and give some evaluation?

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do not have these bolts , the engine came like this to me. Where could I get some? I was thinking lowes or any hardware store if I could find the thread count and length . Any ideas. could I remove and adjacent bolts for the thread count and just get some a tad longer? Anyone got a picture of how this engine is suppose to look?

Attachments

• holes2020.JPG
    holes2020.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat motor 002.jpg
    boat motor 002.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat motor 004.jpg
    boat motor 004.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • boat motor 005.jpg
    boat motor 005.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
  • boat motor 006.jpg
    boat motor 006.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The thing marked "Filter" is the fuel pump, the filter is behind the large screw and black piece. Can't help much with the screws missing, sorry.

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, was pretty sure that the fuel pump was there , it just looked very different that older johnson pumps with the little glass bowl I had seen.

If this engine is sucking air from these holes than would that effect the fuel pumps suction? I am thinking not as it should be air tight to that point right? Forgive my inexperience.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a pull back spring is missing on the Choke.(not familiar with this model) The long looped bar is part of the Pull start.

Also looks like a cam follower is unbolted.

You definitely need a manual.

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, yes ,which is the most comprehensive manual ? Maybe I can go sell some blood or something.....:)

cam follower is unbolted- where is this located and what's it's function ?

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

It bolts under the armature plate to open the throttle.

OEM manuals are best by far. Ebay is most likely place to fine one that old. Maybe someone else here will ring in with more options.

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked out the parts explosions and see soemthings now. My pull start is screwy for sure. Minus the bolts though I can't see anything that is missing that is essential for operation. The choke return I can just move it back underneath via the connecting rods .

I cannot find that cam follower that is unbolted. I removed the armature plate when installing new plug wires so I vary well could have unbolted it and not bolted it back. Did you see that in the video or in a picture?

Can you tell me the time mark that it is visible in the video or circle it in a picture and post . Thanks

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

oops.... That is called the throttle cam. The cam follower is the piece on the carb that will ride along it as it rotates.

In video @ 38 seconds. if it is the Throttle cam, it mounts underside the plate, right where you are lifting it up. behind the carb when the plate is advanced.

EDIT: Went back to the drawings. Your shot of part is obscure at best.
That flat bar is the Locking Lever - Manual Starter Group - Part 29

Can't help on proper mounting. sorry

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I figured it out ,a little at least.

When you pick up on that rod that connects the cam follower to the locking lever the cam follower operates as should . Now I gotta find/order a few small parts for that .

Next thing I found ,went to drain the LU oil and it was empty! Blew on the oil level hole and can hear air escaping ... took prop off and can feel some air back there so there is a bad seal somewhere there . How bad do these old timers leak, what is acceptable?

The choke will open If I pull on the rod that connects to the electric choke . Dunno but maybe you have to do this if unchoking manually as opposed to electric. Dunno why my electric choke isn't working , wanna test it but I only see one lead in where would the negative lead go???

What I don't understand is suppose your rope breaks and you wanna use the emergency spot around the flywheel to pull start. You have to take the pull starter off to do this and then that rod between the locking lever and the cam follower loses tension so how is this operation suppose to work?

Would be curious to know !

78whiteorbs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got it running!!!!

Got it running!!!!

Well , finally got my motor running today, praise the Lord!

I was getting frustrated too, figured out going back through things under the flywheel that a kill switch wire was somewhere it shouldn't have been , in between the flywheel and coil!!!! Moved that and the bad oscar fired right up!

Now I got a few other things to look at. I need a seal kit for the lower unit as it is leaking behind the prop and new impellar, also Not sure if the fuel pump is working properly . Should it only be siphoning when the engine is running ,right?

thanks everybody at iboats for all the info and help , hopefully I will be on the water soon!