Flame Arrestor - A Good Idea?

badman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have read about the use of a flame arresters on the carbs of my inboard engine (in the manual).
Are these something that are still recommended or is a standard air filter adequate?

Engine is ford Essex marinised V4 2L with twin SU 32 / 32 carbs.
17ft owens, OMC stringer 1968 outdrive

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: Flame Arrestor - A Good Idea?

BAD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!
its called a FLAME ARRESTER for a reason. a regular air filter is a paper eliment
if the carb was to back fire,it would or could set the paper filter on fire.

woosterken

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

NEEDED!!!!!!! NEEDED!!!! Flame arrestors are for just that arresting flame.

badman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

okay. next question... where can i get a good fire extinguisher?
just joking.
Which make shall i look out for?
Do they go in between the air filter and carb or do they replace it?
cheers

skargo

Banned

Here is mine, as you can see, it replaces the air filter.

2845_172374395651_554955651_6461652_4294540_n.jpg

skargo

Banned

Thanks. It's a heavily modified Cummins inline 6.

bigblocksarefun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have read about the use of a flame arresters on the carbs of my inboard engine (in the manual).
Are these something that are still recommended or is a standard air filter adequate?

Engine is ford Essex marinised V4 2L with twin SU 32 / 32 carbs.
17ft owens, OMC stringer 1968 outdrive

Forget recommended, USCG REQUIRES it on carburated gasoline inboards (EFI does not apply). If I were to board you, I would terminate your voyage for manifestly unsafe condition (straight to the pier!). On a side note, I was actually on a boat when I was younger that almost exploded. They were trying to get the engines to start (pair of 413 Chryslers in a 1948 46' double cabin Chris Craft) and couldn't. So they tried pouring gas in the carbs directly. Sputter then die. Try again. Same thing. One time they forgot to put the flame arrestor on. WHOOSH!! We found out that installed automatic CO2 system worked like a charm. The worst thing that ended up happening was a pair of badly burned feet (this person dove overboard right out the side door). Turned out to be bad fuel filter gaskets (nothing on the engine at all, go figure). PUT THE ARRESTOR ON. It does double duty as backfire protection and air cleaner.

badman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forget recommended, USCG REQUIRES it on carburated gasoline inboards (EFI does not apply). If I were to board you, I would terminate your voyage for manifestly unsafe condition (straight to the pier!). On a side note, I was actually on a boat when I was younger that almost exploded. They were trying to get the engines to start (pair of 413 Chryslers in a 1948 46' double cabin Chris Craft) and couldn't. So they tried pouring gas in the carbs directly. Sputter then die. Try again. Same thing. One time they forgot to put the flame arrestor on. WHOOSH!! We found out that installed automatic CO2 system worked like a charm. The worst thing that ended up happening was a pair of badly burned feet (this person dove overboard right out the side door). Turned out to be bad fuel filter gaskets (nothing on the engine at all, go figure). PUT THE ARRESTOR ON. It does double duty as backfire protection and air cleaner.

Thanks for the reply.
However, to board me you would need to mortgage your home to pay for the fuel to reach England!
Not sure what the UKCG says about it but i am looking into it.
Interesting story... Hot feet eh? I wholly agree with his decision to disembark promptly!
However, anyone who KEEPS putting petrol straight into the carbs must surely have taken a vacation from common sense... Let the stuff evaporate and never put more than a small cap full in there!
I did it when i first got my engine and it was on a maintenance stand.

I'll certainly have my carbon dioxide fire extinguisher on board.
And i might have to look into safety systems regarding fuel lines and some sort of fuel system stop?
My tank is in the bow and has a send and return to the engine in the rear.

Tank is going in this week.
Cheers

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Badman,
I think the other thing to recognize, is you don't need an air filter. There really is no dust on the water, so the purpose of an air filter (dust and dirt) is not really relevant.

The bonus... you never have to replace them (unless broken) and they have great airflow compared to an air filter :)

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

They do require maintainence though it's easy... you need to clean it when it gets dirty -- I usually clean it once a year - depending on how many hours you put on your boat. I do check it once a month though since soot and grime do get it dirty.

You will need to soak/clean it in a degreaser like purple power since it that product is not flamable. IF you do not use the proper degreaser, you will experience an explosion as well.

Good idea to have it on, easy to maintain.

badman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats a very good point. water is not very dusty!
hadn't actually considered that.
Will be calling my local chandler tomorrow for one.
Nice one.

bigblocksarefun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply.
However, to board me you would need to mortgage your home to pay for the fuel to reach England!
Not sure what the UKCG says about it but i am looking into it.
Interesting story... Hot feet eh? I wholly agree with his decision to disembark promptly!
However, anyone who KEEPS putting petrol straight into the carbs must surely have taken a vacation from common sense... Let the stuff evaporate and never put more than a small cap full in there!
I did it when i first got my engine and it was on a maintenance stand.

I'll certainly have my carbon dioxide fire extinguisher on board.
And i might have to look into safety systems regarding fuel lines and some sort of fuel system stop?
My tank is in the bow and has a send and return to the engine in the rear.

Tank is going in this week.
Cheers
I don't remember seeing your location up when I replied, but no biggie, it'll save you in the long run.

badman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

England is a funny place for stuff like these regulations.
I went to my local coastguard yesterday.... a minute down the road and asked them to fill me in on the reg's and licences etc.

Basically, i don't need anything to go out and there are no regulations on having any particular piece of kit either!
Scary isn't it!
I grew up in Australia on Moreton Bay and we always followed safety guidelines.
We rescued other people numerous times for numerous reasons.

I just can't understand that the only thing i need here is a radio operators license.

I said to the coastguard.... if i want to go out in the boat into the channel and keep going into the shipping lane and accross to France.. can i?
Yes was the answer!

I am just supposed to carry some flares and life jackets but these are recommendations not law!

Perhaps there is not the budget to enforce any regulations? I mean the RNLI (Lifeboat) is supported by a voluntary network.

;)