need identification for johnson

riccio

Recruit
i have a johnson 9.9 that i have bought recently and really nothing about it i have messing around with it and i cant seem to keep it running for more than 30 seconds i think it might be the gas mix but i dont know if someone could help me out i would greatly appreciate it the model number is J15RC1S and the serial number is E5421570

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: need identification for johnson

J15RC1S - That's an I not a 1 in the model number after the C. The model number is for a 15HP not a 9.9.

Click the thumbnail for the chart to decode the model number.

Attachments

• omc_1980_1998.JPG
    omc_1980_1998.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a 1981, riccio.

Correct fuel mix is 48:1, 1 pint TC-W3 outboard oil to 6 gallons of 87 octane unleaded.

What happens if you pump the primer bulb when it tries to die?

riccio

Recruit

thank you for all yalls help

i dont think ive tried that i usually just try to goose it and then it just cuts off but i will try that and i dont think ive been using the proper gas oil mix. can i find that outboard motor oil at like auto zone or something like that and will the ethanol in our gas now a days mess with the motor

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The motor was designed to run with gas that had up to 10% alcohol, but the hoses should be upgraded to this year's type.

The alcohol tends to break down old gas and iol gel that accumulated before ethanol and clog the engine. The alcohol also breaks down after a time allows water to settle into the tank where it can be picked up first when you start the motor.

The best plan is to use a fuel stabilizer like StaBil when you first buy fuel and to add a water-separating fuel filter in the line before anything else. Water separating filters work on gravity and need to be in a fixed position and as stable as possible.

The TC-W3 stands for Two Cycle Water Cooled and at this time of year it should be available at most larger automotive stores, Walmart carries it under several labels including there own.

The best oils for two strokes now are probably the TC-W3 rated synthetics and synthetic blends which generally have a higher flashpoint and burn cleaner. Some, like BRP/Evinrude XD-50 have Carbon treatment built in which is a big advantage.