2 Problems

Nibornos

Recruit
First is i cant find out what year my motor is. Its a 60hp serial number is 6496249.

Second, we ran it last year and it was working fine(little trouble with idle) then it stopped spitting water out. Now it just spits out exhaust where the water should be coming out. The impeller is new. And it still looks fine.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2 Problems

engine is 1984 if you haven't been doing it -you need to flush the motor out with fresh water on the ear muffs or in a bucket every time you use it . in any event first check the outlet tube to the pee hole for little critters that crawled up in there over winter , you can carefully use a coat hanger up the pee hole tube <--that sounds wierd i know, then give her a try , second you need to find out if your motor uses thermostats and they might not be opening , i looked in my parts guide and there is a thermostat kit listed for certain 50/60 hp engines - mercury can confirm by serial number for sure .

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

When you put in the new impeller did you try to turn it to double check that the key stayed in place and didn't push out as you slid the impeller on?

If the impeller turns on the shaft, ahhhhhhhhh, no water pumps.

Nibornos

Recruit

Ive made sure that there is nothing clogging the path. The impeller housing turns with the shaft. Is that what its supposed to do?

Ive also ordered a manual for it. I am new to all this boat stuff.

Nibornos

Recruit

Ok, the impeller spins with the shaft just fine. Its not clogged. Could it be the housing?

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

i am almost sure you have thermostats on that motor and they are probably stuck closed .

Nibornos

Recruit

Well i just have to wait for the manual. I have no idea where they are located.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Are you starting this motor on the water or one the hose?

The P tube often gets clogged by debris left behind by bugs, snaking a piece of wire or weed-wacker string up through it may clear it.

The exhaust vents above the water line don't always give a good indication of water flow on many motors.

When you start the motor immediately place a hand on the port side exhaust cover on the motor and feel for any heat building, indicating little or no water flow.

Watch the prop, do you get water going out the prop with the exhaust?