Volvo 4 cylinder no spark or power to coil

Hello, I have gathered some info on this site and I checked for power at the coil and there is none. Next I hooked a battery directly to the coil and turned the motor over still no spark. Is there a way to test the coil? Should the purple wire be on the positive side of the coil? When the key is off the purple wire shows short to ground but when the key is on it doesn't.
I would really appreciate any help.
Shane

Re: Volvo 4 cylinder no spark or power to coil

Is there some place online where I can download a manual?
Thanks in advance,
Shane

captmello

Captain

Shane,

Your going to have to be more specific than volvo 4 cylinder. Whats the model number for the engine and outdirve?

I believe it is an aq 125 a but I wil have to check on the outdrive. My main concern is the fact that there is no spark. I was wondering what would be routine for tracing a ploblem like this.
Thank you for the responce,
Shane

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Find out for sure what model you have, and I can probably find you the manual.

captmello

Captain

Have you changed out the points/condenser?

You can check the coil for some things, however I'm not sure how.:confused:

try searching the forums for coil testing.

If you can confirm your engine and drive model, You may be able to get a manual from Don S.

I am not even sure where the points and condensor are. I will get the engine and outdrive model # tomorrow and get back to you.
Shane

Ok, I found the points and cleaned them up. Guess what that was the problem. I am going to get new points tomorrow.
We actually got it running but there are still some issues. One of which is the fact that water is running out of the engine in 2 places. One is below the red box by the front of the engine, it looks like a plug is missing. Another spot is near the rear of the exhaust manifold where there is a hose (possibly overflow).
I would really appreciate it if I could get a manual. The engine is a AQ 125 A and the outdrive says Volvo Penta and 270 on it. I hope this is the info. needed to identify it. If not I would be happy with any manual with that particular engine even if it was for a different outdrive.

Thanks so much for your help so far!:)
Shane

captmello

Captain

Glad to hear you got it running!!:)

Do yourself and your boat a favor and do a complete tune up. Points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter and check your timing and dwell when finished.

The info you gave is enough for a manual, however those old volvo manuals are not so great for the DIYers.

Go to this link and you can get a bit more info. type in AQ125a in the engine type box and hit enter. Scroll down to see what info is to be had.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/parts_service/publication_search/publication_search.htm

Let us know what happens.:)

Glad to hear you got it running!!:)

Do yourself and your boat a favor and do a complete tune up. Points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter and check your timing and dwell when finished.

The info you gave is enough for a manual, however those old volvo manuals are not so great for the DIYers.

Go to this link and you can get a bit more info. type in AQ125a in the engine type box and hit enter. Scroll down to see what info is to be had.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/parts_service/publication_search/publication_search.htm

Let us know what happens.:)

I am a DIYer but with your guys help I can do anything! Manual is great! Only 2 questions left.
Is the condensor the round piece on the outside of the distributor?
I have an Idea about how to check the timing but what is dwell?

I can't thank you enough.
Shane

captmello

Captain

Is the condenser the round piece on the outside of the distributor?

Yes.

The dwell is the actual and much more accurate setting for the points. Gap the points with a feeler gage, then with the engine running use a dwell meter to set the dwell.

I'd suggest finding someone to help you, someone with a dwell meter. Its old school mechanics, easy to do but takes a little practice. If your in a spending mood, you could look into an electronic ignition conversion. This replaces the points and condenser on the distributer. It's easier to install than the points and lasts a long time. Up to you. I use points because I enjoy working on my boat and doing the adjustments myself.

Here's a link with the Service manuals your looking for. Thanks to Don for all his help.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=316429

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem with points on my 131d... The previous owner replaced them and didn't gap them. I traced EVERYTHING and couldn't get a spark. Pulled the cap off the dist, and there was my problem.

Anyone have a link to a solid state system for a Volvo 4-banger?