how do I clean my fuel injectors?

rainman1999

Seaman Apprentice
I recently posted about low wot rpms and slow top end speed and since have changed my spark plugs, distributer cap, and water separator fuel filter. I just got my computer back,or I would have updated sooner, I really appreciate all the input. I have my RPMS right where they should be now but something still wasn't right when I went out so I took under my spark arrestor and noticed that one side (4 cylinders) gets a steady spray of fuel from the injector at idle, and the other one is kind of irratic. I priced a new one and they are a pair for like $900.00! So I am going to try cleaning it first. Can I use reguler gumout injector cleaner or should I take it off and soak it in a solution of something. I am running a 1999 Merc I/O 5.7L EFI 260 hp Alpha one outdrive. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how do I clean my fuel injectors?

1999 Merc I/O 5.7L EFI 260 hp Alpha one outdrive.

Not much useful information there. Merc doesn't go by year on anything. Even the parts list 1998 and newer.
You need a SN to find out what you really have, have to assume by your discription it's a TBI system.
I seriously doubt you have a dirty injector. Most likely it's an electrical problem.
I would suggest you go up to the Adults Only sticky and download the correct manual for your engine and start reading. Trust me, the way Mec puts those EFI manuals together will make you crazy.

rainman1999

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don, I recently put manual#14 and 24 on a portable drive and had kinkos print them out. $120.00 later and now I have a lot of reading to do. I was hanging upside down with a flashlight and magnifying glass trying to get that dam serial # off the engine down by the starter,but I must have read it wrong. The guy at the parts store said nothing came up with the number I gave him. Guess I'll try again.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I recently put manual#14 and 24 on a portable drive and had kinkos print them out. $120.00

Good Grief man, there is a lot of info in that manual that you don't need.
Read it on your computer and print only the pages you need to do a particular job.

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Your engine serial number should be on the plastic flame arrestor cover. You want the merc number not the GM number.

James

Fun Times

Staff member

Thanks Don, I recently put manual#14 and 24 on a portable drive and had kinkos print them out. $120.00 later and now I have a lot of reading to do. I was hanging upside down with a flashlight and magnifying glass trying to get that dam serial # off the engine down by the starter,but I must have read it wrong. The guy at the parts store said nothing came up with the number I gave him. Guess I'll try again.
When you say parts store you do mean a mercruiser boat dealer ship of some kind and not a auto part store right? I don't' think a auto store will be able to match up a boats engine serial number.:confused: BTW merc dose now have and sale a fuel injector cleaning kit it is kind of new But i am not 100% sure it will work on tbi injectors, But your local merc dealer should be able to find out for you.

rainman1999

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, that is a merc dealer who quoted me. Yeah Don, I thought that ink cartridges were a lot and kinkos would be cheaper, whoops! Plus my printer sucks.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

120 bucks to print it.... holy crapolie batman... You coulda bought the book for 70 bucks or so.... maybe even less on ebay.

If it is a TB system and your only getting spray out of 1 injector make sure your not going into gaurdian/limp mode. Find all of your temp switches, oil press switch, etc and pull the wires 1 by 1 and see if your fuel comes back. If there is more than 1 thing wrong with the boat you may in fact be going into guardian mode without getting a horn.

fast50

Seaman

check the mili second of the good injector and compare it the the bad one if they are both reasonable close to each other suspect the injector

99tige2100v

Recruit

someone up there put "boat buying gets cheaper every year" where are they buying there boats. i bought mine in 1999 and i would say new boat prices have doubled since then. and since my income has not doubled since then i have a 10 year old boat. with 10 year old boat problems. thank god for this forum. most things are pretty simple, you just need to know where to look. everyone is very helpful here.

william

TulsaTime

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2 words - SEA-FOAM! You can get this at most auto parts stores. This may not fix your initial problem, but this stuff is gold when it comes to keeping those injectors clean! And anything else in your fuel system. Good Luck!