1956 Johnson Sea Horse 30 HP Steering Conversion

Gone Fishin'

Cadet
I'm looking at a 1957 Johnson 35 HP steering linkage assembly (Model RJE-19M, Serial 166951). I'm trying to convert to a rack and pinion steering system. I already have the steering cable and everything. I just need to connect it to the motor. I saw what TD did, but I'm trying to do it for cheap. Can anyone tell me if this steering linkage assembly would work on my motor?

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages...18,98798726,98798657&formats=0,0,0,0&format=0

I'm assuming the end with the pin attaches to the steering cable end and the bracket end connects to the motor but what do I know. I emailed the guy selling it, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet and I'm getting anxious to get out on the lake. Any feedback would be really appreciated. Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1956 Johnson Sea Horse 30 HP Steering Conversion

i have not idea what that is for. you have to have something, either teleflex transon bracket or the tube i used to hold the cable. there ain't no doin' it cheap.

wbeaton

Commander

Looks like it is the rod from the steering bracket of the motor to the steering tube of a rack and pinion set up.

Gone Fishin'

Cadet

Looks like it is the rod from the steering bracket of the motor to the steering tube of a rack and pinion set up.

That's what I thought. So if I attach the steering cable to the transom somehow and attach the cable to the motor using this link arm it would work?

Gone Fishin'

Cadet

i have not idea what that is for. you have to have something, either teleflex transon bracket or the tube i used to hold the cable. there ain't no doin' it cheap.

TD, would that connection kit you used work with a rack and pinion steering system? I'm a little confused how it's set up because you used that control box thing with the one arm. What is that treaded tube that comes with it? Does that just hold the steering cable or does it actually do something?

pillazilla

Cadet

i have a 57 big twin, i had the same idea about getting a teleflex system, after a lot of thought about the hassle of ordering that special bracket, the quickest thing was to just install the old drum and pulley steering, only takes a half hour to install if you have all the parts, with only 35 hp it works perfect for me probably ten times cheaper too, seems archaic to have that system these days but really it works great if the tension is right.

pillazilla

Cadet

everything i needed i got at a hardware store, pretty cheap too

Gone Fishin'

Cadet

i have a 57 big twin, i had the same idea about getting a teleflex system, after a lot of thought about the hassle of ordering that special bracket, the quickest thing was to just install the old drum and pulley steering, only takes a half hour to install if you have all the parts, with only 35 hp it works perfect for me probably ten times cheaper too, seems archaic to have that system these days but really it works great if the tension is right.

Well the boat came with the rack and pinion system. I'm just trying to find a way to connect it to the motor and make it work.