2003 Yamaha 250 HPDI HELP NEEDED

BOAT4ROB

Recruit
HELP. . . .
I wanted to repower my 1992 23 pro-line center console. It had a OX66 200 HP and I wanted to update to something newer with more power and better fuel economy.
I just purchased a 2003 Yamaha 250 HPDI motor prior to reading about all the problems with these motors.
I did call Yamaha to see if the motor had all the factory updates and it did along with a new powerhead in 2007.
I had a local small outboard shop mechanic swap out the motor, oil tank water/fuel seperator filter,fuel lines from the filter to the motor and replace the primer bulb. He also changed out the speedometer guage which was not working properly.
I dropped the boat in and had some difficulty starting at the ramp. Once started I pulled out slowly and went about 300 yards just waiting to warm up prior to blasting off. When I throttled up the motor bogged down and almost stalled. This happened a few times..
the motor would not go over 2000 RPMs it would surge like it wanted to take off but would immediatly bog down. I ran it back to my dock crusing at about 5 MPH. I called the guy who installed the motor looking for help unfortunatly he was out of town on vacation.
His initial thoughts were it could be a filter or oxygen sensor. He also said it was probally running in safe mode, I havent read anything about safe mode does that happen with tese motors?
He does not have the software for the HPDI motors to run any tests, so I went to the local ripoff I mean dealer who siad it sounded like a filter problem.
They suggested I change the 3 filters on the motor.
I thought, ok filters how much could that cost? WOW $700.00, are you kidding me?
Can anyone tell me what could possibly be wrong and any suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem.
The motor model number is LZ250TXRB. Serial number is 60WX-1000312
Please help save my summer.
Thank you
Rob

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2003 Yamaha 250 HPDI HELP NEEDED

you can get the filters here: part 18 and 26. don't forget the VST oring and proper clamps for the medium pressure filter.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2003/LZ250TXRB/VAPOR SEPARATOR 1/parts.html

here's a good post on how to change the filters:
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/66928

You can download the owners manual and read up on the warning systems of that motor.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/service/viewmanuals/outboard_manuals.aspx

I strongly suggest you get an OEM service manual if your gonna do the work.

cpt woody

Seaman Apprentice

Rob, I am not a mechanic but have had alot of experience with an HPDI and have learned a lession or two from the experts on this site. 1st I strongly recommend that you review every thread/post concerning HPDI's on this site. You will learn alot. 2nd don't assume the yamaha dealer's tec is an expert on hpdi's because many are not. I would suggest that you do some research and find out who is considered the expert on HPDI's and has alot of experience with them. If there is a master tech, go there. Cpt Woody

BOAT4ROB

Recruit

Great, Thanks For The Info.
So After Reviewing My Problem Do You Think This Will Fix The Issue?
Is This Pretty Common With The Hpdi Motor?
I Also Read That If There Is Not Enough Oil In The Main Tank That This Could Also Cause This Problem. I Had The Mechanic Install The Oil Tank That Came With The Engine And He Put About A Quart Of Oil In The Tank Which Was Barly Visible When Checking The Oil Level.
Also Have You Heard Of This Motor Runiing In What He Is Calling ''safe Mode''.
Thanks Once Again.
Rob

cousinabe

Download the owners manual and read it. It explains what can cause reduction mode on that engine. In reduction mode, the engine will shake and not run above 2000 rpms.

Also, the Z250 motor does not have and O2 sensor. Your bogging down issue is most likey related to a clogged VST screen and medium pressure filter which need annual replacement.

Great motors, but ya gotta stay on top of the maintenance or it will go BOOM.

BOAT4ROB

Recruit

Thanks Cousinabe, The info you sent is very helpful. I think it looks easy enough to try and replace the filters myself. Can you tell me which ''O'' ring and clamps you are refering to as I would like to order everything I need at once.
Also are there any tricks or tips you can give me before I start?

cousinabe

read page 2-22 of the owners manual.
After re-reading you initial post, I'm guessing you are going into reduction mode due to low oil. You stated you cannot get past 2000 rpms.

Do you have the Yamaha gauges? are any lights/buzzers/warnings going off?

Here's a good post with pics on replacing the medium pressure (strainer) filter and clamps. There is a VST change out in there too.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=788906

cpt woody

Seaman Apprentice

Rob, after you review the treads that I suggested you will conclude that most of the problems with performace with HPDI's are fuel system related. I'll leave the diagnostic suggestions to others. I just replace the 3 filters that you asked about and the cost was $175, filters, o'rings clamps etc. I have a 2005,200 HPDI. HPDI's are very sensitive to fuel issues, have to run with clean fuel and clean filters all the time to keep from being landlocked. Remember you need a 10 micron water/seperator filter

Can't say much about the oil issue you raised, except once I was running out to the chesapeak at 4000 rpms and the oil alarm went off. The engine shut me down almost immediatly to less than 2000 rpms. I refilled the tank in the boat but had to use the manual switch on the motor to refill the tank on the motor.

cpt woody

Seaman Apprentice

Rob, after you review the treads that I suggested you will conclude that most of the problems with performace with HPDI's are fuel system related. I'll leave the diagnostic suggestions to others. I just replace the 3 filters that you asked about and the cost was $175, filters, o'rings clamps etc. I have a 2005,200 HPDI. HPDI's are very sensitive to fuel issues, have to run with clean fuel and clean filters all the time to keep from being landlocked. Remember you need a 10 micron water/seperator filter

Can't say much about the oil issue you raised, except once I was running out to the chesapeak at 4000 rpms and the oil alarm went off. The engine shut me down almost immediatly to less than 2000 rpms. I refilled the tank in the boat but had to use the manual switch on the motor to refill the tank on the motor.

BOAT4ROB

Recruit

Capt Woody,
Thank you soooooo much for the information.
Can you tell me what parts you ordered for changing all the filters?
I would like tpo order everything at once and not have to go to the local marina for an O ring or clamp and pay double or triple the retail price.
I want to tackle this project myself so I can do it annually and noty have these problems during the season.
Your help is much appreciated.
Rob:confused:

cpt woody

Seaman Apprentice

Rob, the work I had done on my hpdi was done by a ycm. Cousinable posted a reply to you on May 27th with all the parts you need and a how to post. I suggest you follow his recommendations. Your VST filter and medium pressure filter need to be service(cleaned or replaced every 100 hours and the water seperator, boat side every 50hrs. HPDI's run great if you can stay ahead and keep the filters clean, otherwise they are pain in the southend. Woody

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

another backyadigan strikes.
dont pay much attention to that last link.
that fiter output has a quick connect no need to cut the band clamp on the output side of the medium pressure filter.
look closly at the metal hose fittining on the filter output.
see that black plastic ring?
while holding the hose use a pair of needle nose pliers to carefully push that ring into the fitting.
then while holding the ring in the fitting withdraw the fitting from the filter.
to install it on the new filter simply push it on until it clicks.