Is this a good deal?

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,

i am looking for a boat, and my budget is up to $10,000, but i want the biggest boat i can buy for the money that has an open bow, here are some that i found.. Good deal for no?

I like the v-8 power and the room of the four winns, but i like the newerness of the other 2..

http://www.shipyardmarine.com/searc...09&type=B&indid=1&sortCol=Length&sortDir=ASC&

http://www.boats.com/listing/dealer...e&is=false&is=false&currencyid=100&task=boats

http://www.boats.com/listing/dealer...e&is=false&is=false&currencyid=100&task=boats

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is this a good deal?

if it has not been done all are due for maintainance. exhaust manifolds, outdrives off for service, and alignment. 4.3 is minimum power for a 19 footer. on the 1996 4.3L, watch the exhaust manifolds, they used 2 different manifold, the type in the picture below, is extremely expensive to replace, as it has to be converted to the 2 piece manifold.

bad
brandon2.jpg

brandon.jpg

good below.

Attachments

• 99_1_207_1.JPG
    99_1_207_1.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 0

MikDee

Banned

They all look a bit pricey for their age, except the Starcraft, but TD mentioned a good point about the exhaust manifolds, if it has those as pictured.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The FourWinns has an OMC. I would not buy that one due to OMC's being discontinued and parts and service are a more limited in their availability. The other two look to be nice, well maintained boats.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

"biggest boat for under $10k" is NOT a very good way to define what you want. i'd recommend thinking through what you REALLY want in a boat first. I can find you an old 30' cruiser for under 10K - but you don't want THAT I'd assume. Old bowriders can be found very large for under $10K.

So what size do you want/need? What power needed - tubing? Skiing, Slalom skiing with heavy people? Cruising in heavy chop?

Lots of boats out there for under $10K! The ones you picked - maybe the Starcraft is a reasonable price, the other two not so much.

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

FWIW I was in your situation late last year. Our cash budget was $10k and we wanted a smaller bowrider and trailer with as few maintenance/technical issues as possible. I scoped out Ebay local listings (listing prices AND sold prices; you can also do a search for completed/sold listings) and Craigslist listings. We wound up purchasing the boat you see described below in 12/08 for $9,000; it also came with two spare batteries and a GPS/fishfinder unit. I would consider it to be in excellent condition (well, it was until my novice *ss started banging it around! ;))

I thought it was a fair deal at the time based on my local research. Today I might find a better deal, but I was glad we got it done in winter so we could start focusing on the pending boat season. We spent our first full day on the water this weekend and it was awesome - our kids loved it. As I tell others on here that ask similar questions, don't worry about squeezing the last dollar out of a deal. Find a boat that fits your needs, is reliable and that is in your range - then pull the trigger. Best of luck to you!

ziggy

Admiral

for me personally, after reading iboats for a few years, omc and mercrusier 470 version engines were off any list. if your gonna turn your own wrenches, ya might look at the engine compartment and see how easy or hard things are to get at to work on. also, don't be swayed by a pretty boat. most are pretty to look at. and don't be swayed by at the nick nacks a boat has either. you'll probably want to customize it for your, not the po. i think look for a good common engine/drive package on a good solid well cared for boat. any boat will do... ;)

lastly, a test drive is an absolute must do item prior to purchase on whatever you find that you like.. good luck in your adventure..

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, i am looking for at least an 18' boat, with swivel captain chairs, a bench in the rear, and an open bow, Minimum power is a 4.3L. The boat will be used for ski-ing/tubing. and just crusiing up the river, with 4-6 people.

i will keep looking, but i was wondering how much bargain room there is for a used boat at a dealer.

The only reason i was at the dealer ws because, i would be financing some of the price, and i feel better buying from one. (and yes a test drive will be done)

Lst year i had a 1977 Hy-rider 15.5 foot tri-hull with an 85 hp johnson.... I was OK, but too small for my likes

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

(and yes a test drive will be done)

Again, fwiw I didn't take our boat for a test drive nor was the engine fired up for me (it was December in Minnesota). I'm sure 99% of the iboats folks think that's nuts, but I think it's situational. The boat was a good deal in my mind, it was relatively new, everything looked great on the boat and the guy I was dealing with struck me as honest, fair and someone that took good care of his stuff. That doesn't mean there couldn't be some manufacturer defect that he wasn't aware of, but overall I felt the risk/reward ratio was weighted heavily towards the reward side. So we bought the boat w/out starting it or taking it on the water. And come Spring, it started and it runs fine. Again, maybe not everyone's way of buying a boat but I do think there are circumstances in which it's "maybe ok" to buy a boat without taking it on the water.

MikDee

Banned

Don't limit yourself to an 18', look for 18'-20', but remember the bigger heavier boat will be better with a V8. It sounds like you have your priorities inline, try to stay with a good name brand boat, look for a clean well maintained, fairly new one, that offers a lot for the money. Actually after taking a second look, that Wellcraft Eclipse is a real nice boat, I know someone that has one, and well made,,, it is a bit older, but well taken care of! & reasonabley priced, I'd take a closer look myself ;)

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, tucker, great info for us to work with.

First off, you want a bowrider with a 4.3 to 5.7L mercruiser or Volvo/Penta engine it sounds like. I highly recommend 19-20' because they don't cost too much more once 10 years old and a lot more boat! 6 people in an 18 footer gets crowded fast.

Here's the deal on a used boat 10 year old or older ... it's all about CURRENT CONDITION, not brand name, etc. You want to be picky and find one very well cared for - maybe trailered only and stored inside all the time. they're out there AND worth a few $$$ more for sure.

Rot, Rot, Rot. That's what you NEED to avoid... and believe me many or even most older boats have some or a lot! Sometimes it is obvious (soft floor spots, trim pieces loose or falling off, etc.) Sometimes not easy to find. You need to educate yourself on finding hidden rot problems or hire a surveyor to look the boat over for you.

Engine, Engine, Engine. There are plenty of 10+ year old boats with engines that run nearly like new. Find one. Same with the drive. Do NOT settle for a engine that has issues - it will cost you plenty down the road. Make darn sure there is no major issues like a cracked block, etc. Should run to operating rpm and proper speed, get up on plane quickly, etc.

So, a nice 19' open bow with a 5.0/5.7L engine and nice interior with no rot! Lots out there, now go find one!

PAY UP for a great boat! believe me, there is no "deal' in an average boat no matter how much $$$ you think you saved! You'll pay for it later. get a great one that was owned by a "boat nut" who treated the boat like a showpiece, not a toy.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Those Boats are all overpriced. I sold my 1996 Wellcraft 19 footer that was in new condition in the spring for 7500.00, and it was in as good of shape as the three shown in your post. For 10K you should be able to get a nice 1996 or newer 18-20 foot BR with a V8 or V6, and other nice features like snap out carpet.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies....
If i can find a 19-21' boat all the better.... and the bigger the motor, the better.. Volvo or merc... no big deal...

As for the dealer boats, how much room is really there for negoitiation?

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, the only way to find out is ask.... so i asked the dealer themselve..... Hopefully i can find something i like.... i am not in a bug hurry either.... :yet: