Engine bilge filled with water...what do I need to check?

roegs

Recruit
My first post and actually my first real problem with the boat. It?s a 1997 Larson with 4.3 Volvo SX drive. I?m in MN, and all boating is fresh water. After doing my own winterizations for over 10 years, I screwed up big time this past season. I forgot to tighten the clamp for the large water pump hose where it attaches to the thermostat housing. Everything was fine when I ran it in the driveway for the first startup of the year. It was not until I dropped it into the lake and ran at higher RPM?s that the hose blew off. By the time I realized what had happened, water in the bilge was over the crankshaft pulley. I pulled over towards shore, and drained the bilge and re-installed the hose. Although everything runs fine, I?m concerned about any long term damage, and am hoping someone could tell me what should be checked right away. A few questions:

1.Starter. I?m almost sure the starter was submerged for this period of time. Should it be removed and dried out?

2.Gimbal bearing and outdrive. With water that high, could water have leaked back into the gimbal bearing, bellows etc? There appears to be a seal between the gimbal bearing and inside engine compartment that I?m hoping would have prevented water leaking back into the gimbal bearing. I?m thinking that maybe I should pull the boat back out of the water and take it to the local Volvo dealer to remove and inspect the outdrive.

This boat has been great for our family, and I want to do the right things to correct any water damage that may have been done. I?m still kicking myself over doing something so stupid! My first change will be an automatic bilge pump instead of the manual one that?s in there now. Thanks for any help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine bilge filled with water...what do I need to check?

1.Starter. I?m almost sure the starter was submerged for this period of time. Should it be removed and dried out?

Take it to a starter/alternator shop and have them check it out before it goese totally bad.

2.Gimbal bearing and outdrive. With water that high, could water have leaked back into the gimbal bearing, bellows etc?

Pull the drive and look. If it got that deep, it will leak in. That seal is a dust seal, not a water seal.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do what Bubba said and then add an automatic switch to your bilge pump. That way you will see the water comming out the side of your boat instead of soaking expensive parts.

roegs

Recruit

Thanks much for the quick responses. I'm going to pull it out of the water and make an appointment to get the starter and outdrive looked at. I called the insurance company, and they suggested filing a 'engine partially submerged' claim. Guess I'll see how it works out.