5.7L Mercruiser low RPM under load

mateunio

Recruit
I just bought a 97 26ft Chaparral.
I put it in the water and it ran great for the first hour.
I then did a good deed and helped someone with a broken boat an towed them into shore. I towed them in at idle not to put too much pressue on my engine. After that i proceded to bo back out on the lake and my boat wouldn't rev past 3000rpm and wouldn't get on plane.
I'm not a boat engine expert, but I went ahead an replaced the fuel filter thinking maybe it was clogged and replaced all the spark plugs.
One spark plug was bad. I took the boat back out and it didn't make a difference. But it does rev up to 6000rpm in neutral. Only under load it is limited. There is nothing around the prop and I asked the previous owner he said he put plenty of fuel stabilizer in it over the winter. Any ideas before I have to take it to a shop?

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 5.7L Mercruiser low RPM under load

Look up in the adult only sticky there is a great post on loss of WOT. Go thru it and you will find your answer. But make sure you do it all dont skip any.

yodaddy

Recruit

Look up in the adult only sticky there is a great post on loss of WOT. Go thru it and you will find your answer. But make sure you do it all dont skip any.

nOOb here....can't seem to find the 'adult only sticky'. Would really like to read that loss of WOT post. Any help in locating the thread would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... At the Top of this forum....