1979 175 hp Johnson

gaubby

Recruit
We just bought a used boat from an auction and it had a 175 hp Seahorse. Problem is it doesn't want to go in reverse and at low speeds it stalls out.....any ideas as to what may be wrong? We will probably have to take it in to a mechanic....but any suggestions would be helpful. Also there also seems to be an alarm that is sounding from the trottle box that we can't figure out what is for........??????:confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1979 175 hp Johnson

J/E Alarms

low oil alarm is a beep every 30 seconds. beep......................beep...................

no oil alarm is a beep every 1/2 second or so.beep,beep,beep

overheat and fuel restriction alarm is a constant beep.beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

also read the TOP SECRET FILE, top of this forum

jonesg

Admiral

even if you do take it to a mechanic you will be way ahead if you get the factory service manual.
www.outboardbooks.com

I'd go through the engine, top to bottom.
With the service book, adjusting or instaling new control cables is quite simple, just follow the numbered steps.

A mechanic is going to charge upwards of $600 to rebuild the carbs, you can buy the rebuild kits here on iBoats for around $20 each ( needs 6).
See how simple it is to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5cxBMDezuU&feature=PlayList&p=927682907A9BA566&index=2

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

There are no oiling alarms on this engine. The only alarm on this 79 is a constant horn-for overheating. As such, you need to resolve this before you run the engine. You could have a problem with the lower unit impeller or with either of the thermostats in each head. If you want to do your own servicing on the engine, a factory manual is the only way to go.

gaubby

Recruit

So I took the engine to a mechanic. After charging $300 to replace the plugs & "tune it". It now is harder to start than before. He said the that the plugs that were in it were the wrong ones. It took about 1/2 hour to start it on Sunday then after a short break it would not start again. I have tried to start it with high throttle & no choke, with the choke. No throttle with & without the choke. The fuel bulb is firm and I see fuel leaking out the air intake. I replace the battery so I have lots of cranking power & it will crank all day, it just doesn't fire. I pulled the plugs individually and cleaned the ends & ensured that all were tight.
I took it to the mechanic that worked on it & he wasn't interested in talking to me when I showed up. I'm not going to bother with him.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A OEM manual would help you most here as others have already said. Until you can get one start with a compression test and the check for spark on all cylinders. Hopefully compression will be over 100psi and spark will jump a 7/16 inch gap. If it still does not want to go into reverse try to disconnect the cable at the motor and see if it will shift by hand easily. You can also disconnect the throttle cable at the motor and verify that the timing advance is moving if your controls are stiff. If you are unsure when the impeller was last done do it now if all of the above are OK. Definately do so before you try to run it in the water. Do you know if the carbs were rebuilt in the "tune up" If they were not you might want to do that next. Follow with a good link and sink per the manual that you need to do this with as it is too complicated to walk you through online.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You first need to verify compression before you put any money into it. If one cylinder is low, you need to know that first. As a new owner of any engine, you should expect to spend some maint. dollars to insure that your future boating goes without a hitch unless you have precise documents with the engine showing all past maintenance/repairs. Some basics are things like: installing a new impeller, and new thermostats. Also, carb overhauls will be required, esp if the engine does not run well at high speed or idle well. As was mentioned, you need to do a spark test on all 6 plug wires.