weight and compression of a 1993 120 hp Force?

Russ Preves

Seaman
Hi....just bought a '93 Maxum with a 120 force....what a simple little engine....:) the guy thought it was fried...I put new head gasket and water pump..seems to run fine....(but smokes!!!)

But..have no idea what the motor weighs...or what "good" compression would be....anybody know?

Thanks,

Russ

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: weight and compression of a 1993 120 hp Force?

Motor is about 350# Compression should be around 150# It depends on your guage.More important the readings should be close. Say all readings should be within 5#-10# of each other. Any more or less and there could be problems.Hard starting,poor performance,etc. Good luck,J

Russ Preves

Seaman

Thanks for your reply, Jerry....

all cylinders are 120-125...but as you say, it's the gauge...how can you tell how accurate your gauge is....

you probobly read the thread about putting in that tell tale....since you know about these engines, do you think that would take precious coolomg water away from where it's needed?

Russ

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

No the water from the telltale isin't enough to hurt anything.
The guage could be leaking a little air.Put a little oil in each cylinder and then take a reading.If the comes up then the guage is ok and the rings need to be decarboned.J

Russ Preves

Seaman

Thanks for that...

how do you de carbon rings?

I thought running at max rpm (5500) every once in a while would "blow the carbon out"

Thanks,

Russ

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

No it only uses more gas.There is a couple of items you can use,Power Tune by Mercury or Sea Foam. Follow the directions and it will remove carbon deposits.
Years ago before TCW 2 TCW 3 Outboard oils.The oil used to mix with the gas was designed to create carbon deposits and would foul the rings.
The newer oils don't do that as bad.It's possible to have some fouling.
I buy and use Mercurys Power Tune every year for my motors.J

Russ Preves

Seaman

Thanks for that...

does one application really work well?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yes,follow the instructions!!!!.J