Mercury 110 won't start

flydown

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1975 mercury 110 motor that I can't get to start. The motor set up for a long time before I aquired it and I have no idea when was the last time that it was started.
I checked the spark and it sparked real good ( blue to white spark that would jump a quarter inch)
I took the carb off and cleaned it real good and made sure that all the holes are open. When I hook up the fuel line and pump the bulb, the bowl will fill with fuel okay but I don't know if I am actualy getting fuel into the cylinder.
I don't know anything about outboard motors and don't know where to go from there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have done a search on this board and tried several things that I have found to no avail.
Thanks
Lenord

Re: Mercury 110 won't start

Just coming back from this same kind of problum. Couple of things. Make sure you have your idele throttle forward as far as it goes. Make sure your gas tank has the breathing hole open. Take some of the mixed fuel and put it into a spray bottle and spray the carb intakes while cranking. It might work or might not. It did for me/:confused:

flydown

Seaman Apprentice

I was trying to locate a spray bottle here at home and I don't have one. When I get a chance, I will go by one so I can try that.

flydown

Seaman Apprentice

Can anyone tell me exactly what the venturi in the carb does. I have noticed that one side of it is broken . It still seems to sit in place properly but I wonder if this is the problem.

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

first off let me tell you im insanely jealous that you have a 1975 model.... i had the EXACT same motor but it got ****in rolled in the water by my dads x girlfriend and then it was found several weeks later washed up onto shore filled with sand :( i never forgave her after that lol.... but anyways you have spark.... so now it sounds like your not getting any fuel.... to clarify this.... try priming it then pulling it over a few times then pull the plugs and see if they are wet or not... if not... ok its gas like buddy said before make sure your tank is vented, primer bulb is hard, choke is on

and your venturi sits on top of your main fuel nozzle i would get it replaced i believe it has something to do with the mixing of fuel to air.... you also have an integral fuel pump (your pump is on the side of your carb).... make sure you have your low speed needle adjusted 1 and a half turns counter clockwise after you seated the needle (gently screwed it in till it didnt screw in anymore) try sprayin some gas down the carb and get back to us.... also make sure you assembled the gasket properly between carb to intake because i believe the fuel pump has its suction hole built onto the carb (where it meets the motor) and if you have this hole covered by an improper gasket installation your pump will not work...... try some of this stuff and let us know how you make out..... if everything winds up being ok with your gas flow and you spray some into the carb and you get not so much as a "BRRRRR" out of your motor, id start to look at the possibility of stuck reed valves

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

found several weeks later washed up onto shore filled with sand

You had an engine wash up?LOL.Id say your lucky.

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

You had an engine wash up?LOL.Id say your lucky.

well it washed up with the boat lol long story she was driving the boat then capsized it then she got rescued by these boaters going by in like 10 foot waves and they didnt wanna tow our boat so we lost it then we wound up finding it on a beach washed up and ****ed

flydown

Seaman Apprentice

It will be a few days before I have a chance to work on the motor again. ( I work 12 hour weekend shifts) I will let you know what I find with this motor.

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

It will be a few days before I have a chance to work on the motor again. ( I work 12 hour weekend shifts) I will let you know what I find with this motor.

the venturi is to create a higer air pressure over the main gas nozzle to vaccum the gas up more efficiently.... if one of the 2 arms is broken off as i said before i would replace it just to be on the safe side....

flydown

Seaman Apprentice

the venturi is to create a higer air pressure over the main gas nozzle to vaccum the gas up more efficiently.... if one of the 2 arms is broken off as i said before i would replace it just to be on the safe side....

This will be my next move when I can get back to it.

flydown

Seaman Apprentice

I think that I may be getting closer to solving the problem. I took the carb off again today and found a jet that I had overlooked and it was clogged. After getting it unclogged, I put the carb back on and tried to start it. As I pulled the rope, fuel was flooding out of the carb. I checked the plugs and the top plug had fuel on it and the bottom one did not. I was pulling on the rope and got the engine to backfire three times. That is the first signs of life out of this motor. I am going to try adjusting the idle screw in and try again.
I am just wondering why my bottom plug seems to have no fuel on it.

tabbott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fuel flooding out of the carb would indicate an improperly seating needle valve on the float. Make sure its seating properly because it wont run flooded either.

flydown

Seaman Apprentice

The fuel flooding out of the carb would indicate an improperly seating needle valve on the float. Make sure its seating properly because it wont run flooded either.

Okay then, then carb comes back off at dawn.

flydown

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, now I need the o-ring that goes around the idle adjustment screw. Does anyone know where I can get one?

flydown

Seaman Apprentice

I got it started a couple of times today but I can't get it to run consitantly.
I can only get it started if I put it in gear and open the throttle a little. I am having a problem with fuel flooding out of the carb when I am pulling the rope. If the problem were with the needle valve not seating, I would think that I would be able to pump fuel up through there with the fuel line bulb. Any suggestions?