no spark

automech

Recruit
i just retrofitted my 87 mark twain with a voyager ignition system boat has 4.3 omc started the boat ran for about 5 min then shut off now no spark i think the module is burnt any reason why this would happen?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: no spark

what is a voyager ignition system? Like a pertronix?

You should have saved yourself the hours of fustration and the hundreds of dollars and kept the 7 dollar points ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what is a voyager ignition system? Like a pertronix?

Delco EST

Did you shift the outdrive? Is the ESA system hooked up. I'm not sure how the ESA will work with the EST distributor.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Delco EST

Ahhh gotcha.

Did you pull this whole system from another engine, or did you piece it together? If you think the module is bad pull it out and smell it. Is there heat transfer paste between it and the distro?

automech

Recruit

i got the ignition through michigan motorz as a kit. i did find out that it is the module but would like to know if anyone has a part number for that module its a delco hei and not sure if an auto one will work if so i need the part number

automech

Recruit

if anyone has any info on that ignition system its a delco voyager kit that would be greatly appreciated

Don S

You may have found out it's the module, but WHY did a new module go out after five minutes.
Is it hooked up to your ESA system? Is it compatable with the ESA? That is why I asked if you shifted it, did it die when shifting.
You may have bought a kit, but were they aware it went in an OMC?
You better figure out why that module went bad, or you will be spending a lot on them. Call M Motorz and see if they will warrant the failed module.

automech

Recruit

i did find out why it went the 12 volt wire to the shift interupt was grounding out when i went to shift it. it would turn on the spark timig and shorted the module i have repaired the wire and installed a 2 amp fuse i just need a new module now

automech

Recruit

so i am not sure if u can use one from a car or not. wasnt sure if it is wired different

Don S

They aren't wired different. But they may have different parameters built in.
Personally, I have never compared the modules between automotive and marine. But advance curves are different between automotive and marine engines, and that module controls the advance.