GPS and drain on battery.

MikeO88

Recruit
Heya folks,
Long time reader and first time post here. I just bought my first boat (1987 19' Bayliner Capri Cuddy Cabin) and thankfully all went well with its mechanical inspection and was given the OK for the water! Awesome!

Before I hit the great south bay this summer I was looking into a GPS/Fishfinder combo and settled in on either the Garmin 520s or 420s - I've always had great experiences with Garmin's products in the past and assume that'll carry over into the marine world. My main concern however is the drain on the battery that the GPS is going to have. I have a Diehard battery from Sears that I use for all electronic applications on the boat (just a radio really) and of course, starting it up.

Would it be safe on a fully charged battery to run the GPS for the day? How many people on here carry a spare battery on board? Any advice would go much appreciated, as well as an experience anyone has had with the particular models listed!

Thanks again, very nice to meet you all!

-MikeO88

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: GPS and drain on battery.

I'll assume since you're using the battery to start your boat, it is also being charged while you run. I have 2 fishfinders on my boat and they don't drain the battery. I have a 2nd battery just for the trolling motor.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, a GPS draws very little power, I have an older Magellan,fishfinder,aerator,lights,trolling motor and a livewell pump and I run those for 8 hours and don't drain the battery so you should be fine.

As stated though, having a boat battery and a start battery is the idea set up, that is what I run and i can jump between the two if there is a problem with either.

Maybe put a jump box on the boat just as a little insurance.

falcon88

Seaman Apprentice

I have the Garmin 530 and it will tell you your voltage and you can set an alarm on it also if the voltage is low. No problems with just one battery.

stormy weathers

Seaman Apprentice

The GPS you want to buy has a battery setting. If your battery gets low the GPS will beep. For me I leave GPS/fish finder and VHF radio all day in the Gulf. never had a problem. There are some great features in the GPS you want to buy.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Most GPS/Fishfinders have a low battery alarm as others have stated. They typically come set pretty high, but setting it at 11.5 or 12V will typically do the trick. I keep a booster pack in my boat (charged) just in case though.

Ian

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you are at all concerned about running down the starting battery (and even if you are not) I would carry one of the so called "jump start boxes". If you are unfamiliar with them, they are a small battery insalled in a plastic case and they have jumper cables attached. Some have a small air compressor built into them which is totally unnecessary since it takes forever to pump up anything with them. Should you run down the starting battery just connect the jump start box and fire the engine. Keep the box charged up after use. These are available at most auto parts stores, department stores, and farm stores for $35 - $75 depending on quality and battery size.