Fuel pump question

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class
1988 Mercruiser 5.7 inboard

I recently bought the fuel pump pictured below as my engine had an automotive pump on it. It has a threaded opening that is plugged rather than a fitting for a fuel return line.

Is this the location for the fitting and do I just need to add a fitting there or is this something else. The application listed was correct for my engine and was listed as a marine application part, but I am not sure if this pump will work as I intended.

I am a bit of a novice on marine fuel pumps and while I understand the differences and the reason for those differences-I don't have any practical experience with them.

Attachments

• 41417.jpg
    41417.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel pump question

If it's plugged and you don't have a return line on your motor don't worry about it.Most of the time they are useless and get pinched or plugged with gunk.Most dont work anyway.J

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I will take the opposite position and suggest putting the fitting and hose on there.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

It looks like the older version that used to have the sight glass,
I`d remove that plug, install a fitting and hose to the carb.
Believe they were called "dual diaphram pumps"

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am going to use the fitting and return line-I understand their purpose and really like the idea of not having gas in my oil if the diaphragm ruptures.

Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The sight glass or tube to the carb has nothing to do with keeping gas out of the oil,it`s there to give you a "tell-tale" indication that the diaphram ruptured and instead of dumping the fuel and fumes into the bilge it gets dumped into the carb.