50 QD-11 10hp, new parts and no spark!

Hi!

I have a '50 QD-11 10 horse. She used to run on one cylinder great, then I decided to "fix" it.

After new coils, new condenser, new plug wires, new plugs, I got nothing. Everything looks pretty, but no spark at either plug.

I cleaned and regapped the points (replacements don't seem to exist for this engine-don't even ask what I aid for the coils).

Anyway, I am like a trained monkey: I can unscrew old parts and put on new ones, but I don't understand what it all does.

Can someine point me in the right direction?

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 50 QD-11 10hp, new parts and no spark!

Check your wiring closely. Make sure you have the coil's wire connected to the points correctly and that any insulators on the points are properly positioned.

That's a common reason for lack of spark after coil and condenser replacement.

Also, you may have a very thin film of oil on the points, Drag a strip of copier paper or other uncoated paper through the points, with the points closed, It will clean off any oil on the points. Also, check to make sure the points are gapped properly.

You're ready to go, but there's some small thing. Look closely to see. Either the points are dirty or something's grounded that's not supposed to be.

I'll try all that. The new parts were put in the same way the old ones were taken out. Anyone see anything wrong with this?

Attachments

• crap 021.JPG
    crap 021.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 0

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it's hard to tell from the picture, but I think there's supposed to be a cam that actuates the points, did you remember to put the cam back on and flywheel key back in. I don't see either in the picture, but it just maybe my eyes.

If that's fine, then get a manual and methodically rewire one coil at a time, starting over from the beginning. Most of the the times when I've had similar problems, it typically turned out to my error and not a bad part.

Okay, here's the setup. which I am learning Johnson only used for a couple of years...

The inside if thye fly wheel is machined in an eliptical shape where it sits on the shaft (see pic). This allows the two small black shafts that stick out from the points to open and close the points as the flywheel turns. Look at the pics, it's easier to figure it out that way...

This is also a better closeup if anyone can spot a problem that'd be swell. am at the end of my rope (and budget) with this engine...

Attachments

• S5001719a.jpg
    S5001719a.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • S5001720.JPG
    S5001720.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 0

OK...one whole day wasted.

I now have redone everything at least twice...and have achieved a very weak spark. In fact the weak spark may have been present all along. It is too weak to push through a spark plug, but holding the bare plug wire in my hand (boot removed) I can feel the pulse of electricity. It's too weak to even reach being "uncomfortable".

Barring further brilliant advice, I think my only option left is taking it to someone and (gulp) PAYING someone else to fix it.

Which means it'll sit in the garage for the next 5 years because I'm WAY too cheap to pay...

Oh well. Thanks for the help so far fellas, and any further help is appreciated too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you haven't already don it, thake the points apart and polish each contact separately with some 400 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper. Then reassemble and set the gap at .020". I'll bet it will work.

Needless to say, be careful to observe all the little insulators on the points sets, and do one set at a time so you have a sample how it goes together.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Is there an inspection hole through which you set the points? Are you torquing the flywheel nut.Are you certain your on the correct part of the cam?

OldJohnson6hp

Seaman

+1 to this "Are you certain your on the correct part of the cam?"

How exactly did you set the gap?

FR, I am going to spend more time on the points today, after sleeping on it, that seems the most likely culprit to me too, I already attempted to dress thom with some 400 grit wet dry, but maybe more is needed.

steelespike, yes there is a hole on top of the flywheel that you set the points through. (It's covered by the text box in the above pic). The flywheel has a keyslot and one on the shaft that it sits on, there's no way to reinstall wrong that I can see.

oldjohnson6hp, I set the gap to .20 through that access hole on the flywheel using a set of feeler gauges.

I believe it's gotta be the points so I will work in that direction this AM. Wish me luck!

We have liftoff!!!

Turns out it takes more than just a few swipes with sandpaper to clean up 59 year old points. I completely disassembled them this time and used a small sharpening stone to clean up the contacts. They were completely crudded up, even after I tried cleaning them the first time.

This was a no-brainer and I should've done it this way in the first place, but I tried to cut the corners a bit. I should know better.

Thanks for all your help guys!!!!

Attachments

• S5001727.JPG
    S5001727.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 0

Heres some pics of the points assembly if anyone is curious.

Oh, by the way. She runs so good now that the prop is slipping...*sigh*

It's been one of those weeks.

I'm off to ebay to look for a prop.

Attachments

• S5001722.JPG
    S5001722.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
  • S5001721.JPG
    S5001721.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 0