1985 force back fires

Rich1540

Seaman
Just picked up a bayliner yr 2000,has a 1985 50hp force and i have spark gas ! pulled fly wheel off and it had a sheered woodruff key ,replaced !
now all it does is turn over and back fireonly started once ,after we replaced key what could be my problem ?
Thanks in advance for the help!!:confused:

brianwebb

Cadet
Re: 1985 force back fires

make sure you have the plug wires on the right spark plug. I had the same thing happen to me, switch your plug wires and try that. Let me know if it works!!!!! I went through a similar situation.
Brian

Rich1540

Seaman

ya ithought of that to ,didnt work ,would the ppoints do this just started working on this and when i had the flywheel off i didnt check the pionts ?

steve66

Seaman

Hi,Check the key again.I had a similar problem with a 40 Johnson.The key was sheared,i replaced the key started it and it sheared again straight away.If it is sheared again the reason is you have a high spot either on the flywheel or the crank.Apply some valve grinding paste to the taper on the crank and lap the flywheel on to it.Keep doing it until all the high spots are removed.
Hope this helps.
Steve

Unbalanced

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Maybe the previous owner adjusted the timing to compensate for the change in flywheel position?

Rich1540

Seaman

how do i check the timing ? and the key is good ,thanks forall the suggestions really appreciate it!

john from md

Commander

Get a manual. Timing the engine is spelled out so anyone can do it.

John

john from md

Commander

I wasn't trying to be short with you. It is easier to read and do than for me to give you a short description of how it is done.

John

Rich1540

Seaman

no problem John didnt take it that way ,friend of mine come over and showed me !Found some wire problems to so now all i have to do is trace some wires and enjoy ! Thanks for all replies !!
Rich

Rich1540

Seaman

back again with update ,put in water and started right up ,seems to have a ruff idle ,mix at 50 to 1 ,every thing else i think is right ,any suggestions ??:eek:

a1machinista1

Seaman

Ill lay down a $5 bill that unbalanced has the answer! probably the only way the po could get it to run.

Rich1540

Seaman

well turns out when i got the fly wheel of to do the timing ,the people i bought it from had a regular woodruff key in it so the coller for the points was just turning a round by its self !and the wires to the points where just laying there it was a real coble job fixed it all then itstarted right up!they had bared all the wires i think they were trying to figure it out by testing the wires ,and all they had wrong was the pionts wireing and the key ?
ive cleaned carb double checked timing and its a brand new gas tank and gas line !any help would be nice on the rough idle ,i doosent stallruns good in middle and top end !

Rich1540

Seaman

:confused:i put it in the water again today and it sat for 3 min running and when got ready to go it stalled when i put in gear (forward and reverse)after this it would not move just stall tryed changing plugs figured i fouled them but new plugs did same thing ? any ideas ?

john from md

Commander

What RPM is it idling at in neutral? It should be around 1200 and then 750 in gear. Sounds like your idle is too low.

John

Rich1540

Seaman

no tach no speedo! will try idling it up and see,
thanks appreciate it!