96 Merc Overheat Sensor

kevinclark93

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 Merc 150 offshore. As soon as I turn the key on a constant beep alarm goes off.

I am in the process of trouble shooting the sensor. I have found two sensors one on each side of the engine, and I am not sure what each one is. The one on the right side has a Tan/Blue wire with a seal, spring and then sensor. The other on the left side of the engine has a Solid Tan wire going into the sensor and the sensor is one solid cylinder.

I have read in other post that you need to unplug the temp sensor to see if the beeping stops. On both of the sensors I have found the wires do not disconnect, they are either soildered or bonded, so how do you recommend disconnecting them? Also which one is the temp sensor.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 96 Merc Overheat Sensor

on the rear of the motor is a terminal block - ground on one side - sensor wires on the other - disconnect here . terminal block is small about 1/2 in. long 1/4 in. wide . usually held in with philips screw .

kevinclark93

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 96 Merc Overheat Sensor

Thanks for the info... Do you know what the temp sensor looks like. Is it the sensor with the spring in the assembly or the sensos that is just a cylinder no spring.