Need a new engine.....can I go bigger?

temperedtim

Seaman
So some of you already know my 3.0L Mercuiser has decided to throw in the towel (apparently with a little help from my right arm) and I have to decide to replace or rebuild. So far replace has a much better "ring" to it. I might replace the Drive unit as well depending on cash situation. So....now I'm wondering. My little 3.0 is only 135 horse and never liked pulling a 200Lb man out of the water. Can I go bigger without doing any major mods to my hull or bell housing. I don't wanna be putting in power steering and anything major. What about the 4.3? WOuld that bolt up nicely without any crazy modifications? I'm perfectly happy with a new little 3.0 but a 4.3 sounds much better.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need a new engine.....can I go bigger?

Tim, you may want to post a little more information such as year, boat hull, drive model, etc. Also a couple of pictures of the current engine bay showing the layout might be helpful and get ya some better responses. ;)

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes pictures would help BUT. The 3.0 bolts onto one stringer for the front mount. The 4.3 bolts down to 2 stringers. Also going to the 4.3 you need to have your drive regeared or get a new one. Just a few problems you will run into.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Not to mention the exhaust issues.

haulnazz15

Captain

The rear motor mounts are you main issue, I don't have any knowledge that a 3.0 and a 4.3L would use the same rear mount but it's possible. The bell housing and outdrive (alpha-type) won't matter. SEI outdrives are much cheaper than Mercs and have a good reputation if you end up getting the new outdrive too.

temperedtim

Seaman

Ill just keep my little 3.0 liter set up. But to know more its is a 3.0L in a maxum 18 foot hull. Its an Alpha one gen 2, I believe (I say that because I was told its a gen 2 but it doesn't have a gear oil reservoir, which Ive been told the gen 2's have).