need help getting to trigger assembly

ronnie norris

Recruit
i have a 1972mercury 1150 inline 6 cyl. with a no spark condition. i've done the bench test and think i have a bad trigger assy. pulled the distributor cap and have no idea how to remove the rotor to get to the trigger assy. any help on how to remove the rotor and trigger assy. will be greatly appreciated.

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: need help getting to trigger assembly

ronnie the rotor and button are one piece.the entire dist.assy has to be removed and dissassembled...cdi electronics will be able to help you with a replacem,ent

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ronnie, how did you get the cap off?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Chris, the dissy cap is held on with a stainless steel band. The band is secured with a bolt and locknot.

Ronnie, the trigger is part of the dissy body. You will need to take the nut off of the rotor shaft and pull the shaft 9and rotor) out of the body. The bearing sometimes makes this tough. Do not break the rotor, as it is another $200 part

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yeah, I took the band off and tried to pull the cap but I didnt want to pull too hard and break it...is it pressure fit or is mine just stuck? no hijack meant sorry. I feel it is in line with this wuestion and belongs here. After the cap is off I will be doing the same as the OP and will question that also so this saves space...

ronnie norris

Recruit

i have a 1972mercury 1150 inline 6 cyl. with a no spark condition. i've done the bench test and think i have a bad trigger assy. pulled the distributor cap and have no idea how to remove the rotor to get to the trigger assy. any help on how to remove the rotor and trigger assy. will be greatly appreciated.

Just found out that the dist. is all one piece with the trigger assy. Is there a test I can perform on the trigger assy to be sure its bad
thanks

ronnie norris

Recruit

ronnie the rotor and button are one piece.the entire dist.assy has to be removed and dissassembled...cdi electronics will be able to help you with a replacem,ent

Can you please tell me if there's a test I can perform on the trigger assy. to make sure it's bad

Laddies

Banned

Here's the simplests test for systems.
scan0002.jpg

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

well said laddies,and chris your cap is probably just stuck on the cork seal on the cap...just persuade it with a little nudge and it should cooperate...