help! stuck on the lake..

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class
well... not really stuck out on the lake... yet. I was wondering what kind of precautions or safety nets you have with you out on the lake. the reason im asking is because i have a 1980 Galaxy 17 ft. bowrider and it breaks down all the time.

other than the obvious (preventive maintenance, life vests, first aid, etc...), what do you guys have with you out on the lake to make sure you get back without major hassle?

i'll start it off by saying i keep a portable battery jumper pack and a bag of tools in the boat with me when i go out.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: help! stuck on the lake..

There are basics like having spare props, fuel filters, flares, etc. but I'd suggest that if you know your boat is unreliable I'd get some help troubleshooting that before you leave the dock again. Depending on the body of water you're on, it could be more than an inconvenience. Do yourself and family a favour and get a professional assessment of its mechanical condition and address each one as you have the time and money. My 2...

rizz

Cadet

A cell phone to get a tow in when she wont start. haha! elec,trolling motor in case the engine wont start, them tow chargers are pricey.

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

i was wondering about the trolling motor... would i be able to use it to get me across the lake to the boat ramp if i break down? my boat is a pretty decent size (its not a jon boat). and if it WOULD work, how would i mount it to a bowrider?

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

and btw, i take care of my boat but when i fix one thing and have it running good i take it on the lake and something else goes on me and im stuck again. haha

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Get a cheaper transom mounted trolling motor and keep it stored for emergencies. ;)

CATransplant

Admiral

You'll also need a fully-charged deep cycle battery for that trolling motor.

If it were me, I'd put a 6 hp 2-stroke Johnson or Evinrude on the transom and always carry a 3.3 gal tank of fresh premix with it. That'll get you back to the dock, every time. You can get a good running one for $300-400. Just use the gas up and put fresh in a couple of times a season and you're good as gold.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have a 4HP Evinrude that stores nicely under my bow. I think just having that thing there keeps the big motor from breaking down. Haven't needed to use it yet. I also carry an extra battery.

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 4HP Evinrude that stores nicely under my bow. I think just having that thing there keeps the big motor from breaking down. Haven't needed to use it yet. I also carry an extra battery.

an extra battery? overkill? i have the battery jumper pack that will start the motor or operate any electrical accessories or lights or whatever... batteries are expensive and they have a tendency of 'puppin the bed'

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It may be overkill but my first couple times out with the boat I had issues with the motor that caused me to run the battery down trying to get it started. That ended my day right there. I had an electric trolling motor at one time but it died. My second battery is a deep cell one I had for that. So it's not like I specifically bought a second starting battery just for backup.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

it's not that uncommon down here, specifically Everglades National Park for folks to spend an un-planned night out, either due to being trapped by tides, low water, storms whatever. We usually carry extra water, food and bug dope.

cribber

Lieutenant

Two cell phones, a VHF handheld charged, and a subscription to SeaTow.

Jeep Man

Commander

I like the idea of a small kicker motor. Good for trolling if you like to fish and a great means to get back if the main motor dies, Start it up regularly and start enjoying boating.

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Grasshopper,

what you seek is peace of mind. To achieve that, you must trust your boat.

If you want specifics, provider specifics on what is going wrong, what you have done so far and what is broke and what worries you.

Inspect every inch of the electrical system. Fuses, wire condition, battery use, axillary items on a common fuse, common ground. Touch every cm of the fuel system, lines, filters, valves, condition of clamps & connectors.

You keep adding systems without knowing what you got, is asking for trouble.

If you find a need, search on this site, these people have been there, done that.

Build a ?dry? box with a lot of extra parts (wire, hose, connectors, meter) & tools and find a place for it on the boat. Even after you trust it....

Good luck

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 4HP Evinrude that stores nicely under my bow. I think just having that thing there keeps the big motor from breaking down.

Haha! I feel less crazy (or at least amongst others like me) knowing I'm not the only one who threatens inanimate objects into working.

allinmygarage

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cell phone and know your neighbors phone numbers. Obviously most of the previous posts are referring to waters that they may not be on everyday. But if you live on a lake like I do, knowing your neighbors is perfect. Had my old pontoon shut down once and called a neighbor and had it back to my dock in a jiffy.

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, now you guys have me worried. We have a 2005 Bayliner 185 and we're new to boating (bought the boat this winter, just took it out for the first time a few weeks ago). I'll spare you the details (you can read my other posts if you like) but we had some battery issues. We just replaced the starting battery so I'm "assuming" we'll be fine. However, it sounds like the slightest electrical component that's left on can quickly drain the battery. I'm imagining that we enjoy a nice leisurely lunch at a dockside restaurant, and I accidentally leave the GPS on...and two hours later we come out to a dead battery (???). We just plan on boating on inland lakes in the metro Twin Cities area of MN. Is one of these battery jump packs cheap insurance?; do most of you have them? If so, which is the best one to purchase?

http://www.autobarn.net/batteryjumpstarters.html

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Too bad you dont have two engines :p

On a serious note...

I have an 18' Bayliner bowrider.

I always have a 70lb thrust trolling motor on the front of my boat, or stowed away in the case of a breakdown. Although its slow it will get you back across the lake, or at least to shore, no problems. Mine is usually good for about 2 miles +/-. Of course, a deep cell trolling battery is a must. I keep it on the trickle charger for a few days before a trip to make sure its fully charged. That should at least get you to shore. For the 200 or so bucks for a trolling motor (get 50lb thrust or more), it is a nice security blanket.

A cell phone is a big plus.

I ran out of gas once, in the middle of the lake, and my trusty troller got me to shore, where I walked to the marina and got a few gallons of gas to tote back. Thats my advice! And good luck!

scjmc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fresh drinking water. Also fuses.