1957 Johnson 18 FDE-11

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got my '57 Johnson Sea Horse 18 off the crate from North California, and it's like a time capsule! :D It's been sitting for a while, had varnished fuel in the filter and carb, got that cleaned up and spun it over...all i got was a few seconds of running a backfires. So pulled the flywheel off and it definately needs coils, so i got my parts list together and stopped there. I've ordered 2 coils, points and condensors, a carb kit, water pump kit, lower unit seal kit, some hoses and other misc. stuff. I'll post more as I get it fixed up. :cool:

57JOHNSON2004.jpg

57JOHNSON2005.jpg

57JOHNSON2006.jpg

57JOHNSON005.jpg

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1957 Johnson 18 FDE-11

Here's a good shot of the bad coils...

57JOHNSON002.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yes, definately time for coils, as long as the lower unit is good, you will have a good runner. read the TOP SECRET FILE, is thread in this forum.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

yes, definately time for coils, as long as the lower unit is good, you will have a good runner. read the TOP SECRET FILE, is thread in this forum.

And get a bigger bucket. I use an old-school metal trash can. You probably won't be able to get the water high enough on the leg to pump properly with the 5 gallon one.

cgrim1028

Cadet

That is a good looking motor to me! Get that one running and enjoy it!!

But where did you find a waterpump kit for it? I am having no luck finding for a 1958-35hp?

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a good looking motor to me! Get that one running and enjoy it!!

But where did you find a waterpump kit for it? I am having no luck finding for a 1958-35hp?

vintageoutboard dot com part #18-3083 Impeller 35hp 1958-59, impeller only, but hope that helps.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I recieved all my parts for the tune-up, but i'm having trouble getting the flywheel magnet to clear the coils...they are moved all the way to the inside as far as the mounting holes in the coil will let me move it and it still hits.

Edit: I also made sure the coils were behind the mounting boss, the boss actually sticks out a tiny bit further than the coil right now...so why am I hitting the coil??

Edit again: i'm a dummy and didn't have the coils all the way behind the bosses.

bhughes

Seaman

I also noticed when I try running this same motor in a 5 gallon bucket I can't get any water to spray out of the water outlet thing, so I try not to do that anymore, but it hasn't messed it up yet.

lindy46

Captain

Edit: I also made sure the coils were behind the mounting boss, the boss actually sticks out a tiny bit further than the coil right now...so why am I hitting the coil??

Coil should be flush with the mounting boss. If the boss is actually out further, something else must be hitting. Can you turn the flywheel shaft without the flywheel on? (Maybe the coil is too far in?)

jbjennings

Captain

Those motors are really not very trustworthy but if you insist on working on it, you might try looking at the following thread:
http://http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=294072

By the way, I'm glad you incluced pics of my favorite motor! I would have had a fit if I didn't get to see it.:D It looks like it's in nice shape, judging by the prop and paint. You'll love it when you get it running! Oh how easy it will start..........Congrats! BTW, German coils are good coils. Try moving them from one side to the other. I'm thinking that there MIGHT be a left-hand and right-hand one. I can't remember.
JBJ

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally got the coils to clear, the position is very critical...i barely moved it and lost fire...had to move it back out toward the flywheel again to get spark. JBJennings, you say in the same breath that these motors aren't trustworthy but yet are your favorite motors? :confused: Anyway the motor is firing again, but still won't run longer than a few seconds on the first attempt, then it just backfires. I didn't get a new plastic float in the carb kit I ordered and I have the old cork one, hoping that is making it backfire somehow.

BDbill

Seaman

I have the same motor along with a 1958, they are great motors, I think he was just B.S.ing you. My 1958 motor backfired to, it was Carb. adjustments, I had them to loose. My 1957 is waiting for a top crankshaft seal, then I can put the magneto on and try to start it.
You have a nice motor, and I'm sure once it's finished, it will be one that gets a lot of looks, they are probably the nicest looking motors ever made, but that's just my opinion.

jbjennings

Captain

Ha Ha! Those are great motors, I was only spoofing you.
It will be totally reliable when you get it running right. Is it lean sneezing out the carb or backfiring? I'm thinking a dirty carb, or a misadjusted carb. If you check the "top secret files" thread at the top of this forum, you will see Joe Reeves carb. thread which is very helpful. Get that carb clean, especially the tiny passage that runs down the side of the fuel bowl. The old float needs replacing. You have to order a new plastic one separate. I get mine form laingsoutboards.com. I'm not sure if iboats has them. You still may get the cork one to work for a while, though. When you pump the primer, you should feel it get hard to push after the carb. fills, telling you the float is working and shutting off the fuel when the bowl fills. That shouldn't be your problem since it sounds like it's not getting ENOUGH fuel. Try turning the slow needle counter-clockwise 1 turn and the fast needle counter-clockwise 3/4 turn from lightly seated and see if she'll run. You can fine tune it once it's running right. There isn't a motor easier to work on as far as I know. Don't get discouraged. You'll get it running right, just keep asking questions. Here's a pic of my regular-use favorite, an FD (+E) 11. I've run 6 gallons through it in one day.:) No telling how many tanks through it with zero problems. Don't worry, you have a good model. Any compression numbers?
Good luck,
JBJ

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

stevenj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice looking motor. I love all those classic motors.

Steve

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

good, you had me worried there for a minute...I do need that plastic float, i'm looking for one right now...i'll check that site you listed thanks. I don't have a compression gauge, so don't have those numbers yet. It feels strong compression wise tho, very hard to turn over by hand with plugs in, nice and easy with them out. I am trying to test run this thing by gravity feed now as I don't have a pressure tank and am waiting on my backordered fuel pump for the late model tank conversion...so it is possible that gravity feed is not enough right? I have a tank elevated a couple feet higher than the motor. I used to run Volkswagen motors like this with no fuel pump, so I thought it would be fine...This is probably what's holding me up.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Getting closer, I may try to start her up again today...like I mentioned above, my fuel pump is on backorder for the fuel system conversion but I just can't wait. So yesterday I stop by the local lawnmower repair shop thinking it's a long shot but I might find a fuel pump like i've seen used on this forum before...one for a Briggs and Stratton commercial mower. Well what do you know?..They had one! I've gotten everything in place, but ran out of gas last night to try and crank it up and I live in a small town with no gas stations, lol. I'll have fuel later today when my brother comes home from town, i'll let you guys know if it worked or not.

FUEL003.jpg

FUEL002.jpg

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YAY, ITS ALIVE! well, I can't say I've been patient, lol...but it is great to hear it run. The problem was the fuel supply, kids at home, don't try gravity feeding them, it won't work. The briggs and stratton pump seems to be working like a charm, it fired right up on the first bump of the starter. Not pumping water yet...but i have parts to rebuild the water pump and the lower unit, i'll get started on that tonight. Thank you all for your help, and I apologize for being a grumpy old bastard at times. ;)

jbjennings

Captain

Great to hear! You'll really like that motor when you get that lower unit sealed up so you can trust it. The water pump should be and easy fix. Be careful when you take off the shift rod connector that you have the lower unit supported by the bolts. If you put any bind on the shift rod when you take the connector bolt out, it will rub the threads off. Make sure you get the groove in the rod matched up with the hole in the connector upon reinstallation, also.
Later,
JBJ

56 rude

Banned

congrats on you new motor ,i have 2 sitting in the garage a 57 and 58 and as far as im concerned they rate right up there as one of the all time great outboards.enjoy it !