1972 Johnson 125hp: One cylinder no spark

sjenson1

Cadet
Hi all,
I am new to outboards, and just picked up an old boat with a 1972 125 horse. I've got it running on muffs, but I noticed that the plug in the #3 cylinder was VERY clean. I pulled te plug wire while it was running and there was no difference in the idle. I switched plugs with another cylinder, and still the #3 had no spark (I felt the shock when pulling the wires of other cylinders....ouch). I unscrewed the wire from under the flywheel and rescrewed it back in....still no change. The powerpack, coil, and wires look almost new, but I am unsure when they were replaced. I noticed 4 wires coming out of the powerpack (a purple, green, and two wraped in shrink tubing that go straight under the flywheel). The purple is connected directly to the engine wiring block, and the green isn't connected to anything. I haven't pulled the flywheel off to look inside yet because I was hoping maybe the green wire is the culprit........but I don't have a manual for it yet. If anyone has any idea what may be causing this, I would sure appreciate any advice you have to offer. I am very handy when it comes to cars, but outboard motors are new to me, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Lastly, I was hoping to get it in the water this weekend.......will running on 3 cylinders at low speed hurt anything? Thanks.

sjenson1

Cadet
Re: 1972 Johnson 125hp: One cylinder no spark

I'm sorry........there are actually 6 wires coming out of the powerpack.....in addition to the above, a black and a blue one go to the coil.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I would guess the the #3 SCR in the power pak.

iwombat

Captain

Switch coils from #3 to some other cylinder. See if the problem follows the coil.

GeneMachine

Recruit

you said you got shocked while pulling the wire off the dead cylinder? and how many carburetors does it have?

sjenson1

Cadet

The engine only seems to have 1 coil. From my research, I have a distributor under the flywheel, so I only have one coil to supply power to it.

What is the #3 SCR in the power pack?

I got shocked when pulling the wire off of one of the other cylinders. When I pull the #3 wire, there is no shock, and no difference in engine idle.

iwombat

Captain

The engine only seems to have 1 coil. From my research, I have a distributor under the flywheel, so I only have one coil to supply power to it.

D'oh! Nevermind. Same advice, but with the plug wire then.

sjenson1

Cadet

Thanks. I was gonna stop by the marine shop today and pick up a new wire for the #3 cylinder and for the coil just to be safe. I'm not expecting much though, and it looks like someone did the whole ignition system with new parts in the recent past......that is why I am hesitant to pull the flywheel until I have covered the external possibilities first. I don't know much about the pulse packs on these things, and it bothers me to see a green wire coming out that isn't hooked up to anything. Maybe it is for use on another engine, but I was hoping someone here might know.

sjenson1

Cadet

I think I found the problem. I took the distributor off and noticed some pits in the contacts. I sanded them a bit and re-gapped the optical sensor and put it back together. It ran good as usual, and when i'd pull the wire for the #3 cylinder I noticed a slight difference in the idle. When I pull a wire from any other cylinder, I notice a significant change in idle. Guess I need a new distributor cap. However, I have a new problem.......I hooked up a battery charger to the battery to top it off after all the cranking I had been doing. After charging the battery, the engine wouldn't fire.......just crank and crank, with the occasioanl backfire. Did I fry the pulse pack by hooking up a battery charger? Or, is there a fuse somewhere after the starter that I may have blown? Or, any other ideas?