Attention DARWIN CONTESTANTS

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
This is an official notice and test to all contestants.
1) Can I use automotive starter
2) Can I use a automotive carb
3) Can I use a automotive fuel pump
4) Can I use automotive ignition systems
5 ) Can I kill myself ,my family and friends
Answer all five wrong and YOU WIN
POSTHOUMOUSLY OF COURSE

bhammer

Ensign
Re: Attention DARWIN CONTESTANTS

1) Can I use automotive starter
I did today
2) Can I use a automotive carb
Sure, did at one time before injection.
All the time.
4) Can I use automotive ignition systems
All the time
I could but would never dream of it.

POSTHOUMOUSLY OF COURSE

Oh, I ansered these for my car though. :D Were we talking boats agian? :D;)

ziggy

Admiral

no

but i'll ask you, what came oem on a pre service manual 3 (1978) L6, 165 hp engine... not what i should replace it with. what it came with from mercruiser in 1975..did it have 3 fittings? in, out, and diaphragm failure dump to the carb? or, just in and out, pin hole vent to the bilge, just like a auto? just a question. i'm wondering? i think the standards have been rectified. but what about the folks that their oem parts still work proper? like i said, just a question.. i completely agree with replacing parts up to modern day standards during repair... my question is about if it don't need repair and it's old stuff that may not meet today's standards...

Kovah55

Banned

New here but i know a little. May i give a reply? Maybe it didn't come standard on a 78' oem. And maybe it will never leak, MAYBE ? I hope for your sake it never does. Because you know the outcome. Like Clint Eastwood said" you feel lucky, well do ya "

84Monaco

Seaman

Any stories out there about what happens in these cases?

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

no

but i'll ask you, what came oem on a pre service manual 3 (1978) L6, 165 hp engine... not what i should replace it with. what it came with from mercruiser in 1975..did it have 3 fittings? in, out, and diaphragm failure dump to the carb? or, just in and out, pin hole vent to the bilge, just like a auto? just a question. i'm wondering? i think the standards have been rectified. but what about the folks that their oem parts still work proper? like i said, just a question.. i completely agree with replacing parts up to modern day standards during repair... my question is about if it don't need repair and it's old stuff that may not meet today's standards...

Not sure but it might have had one of those little "sight glass" bowls on the side of the pump.

James

ziggy

Admiral

no sight glass. this is a carter fuel pump i'm talking about. look at pp 4A-1 in service manual #2. there's a pic in pdf. blow it up so ya can see the weep hole in the pump. just like a auto fuel pump. my info is not for me only. every engine that used that pump on anything pre service manual #3 would likely have this type of pump if it's never been replaced. and they are serviceable too. also, you'll also see no mention of any plumbing from the fuel pump back to the carb. in manuals 1 or 2. but it's in 3.

i really have no point to my comment i guess. short of in the old days, things apparently were not done like they are today and folks are getting smarter and putting worthwhile safety features on for us. if they're available, most certainly do the upgrade and use a marine fuel pump. i'm just saying there could be some out there that are still like they came from the oem in the year of mfg. that do not meet todays standards.. just conversation...

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

New here but i know a little. May i give a reply? Maybe it didn't come standard on a 78' oem. And maybe it will never leak, MAYBE ? I hope for your sake it never does. Because you know the outcome. Like Clint Eastwood said" you feel lucky, well do ya "

When most pumps fail it leaks fuel into the oil.....

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

1) Can I use automotive starter yes if you transfer over the spark arrestors
2) Can I use a automotive carb most of the time there is little diffrence
3) Can I use a automotive fuel pump They did
4) Can I use automotive ignition systemsmost are
POSTHOUMOUSLY OF COURSE

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

no sight glass. this is a carter fuel pump i'm talking about. look at pp 4A-1 in service manual #2. there's a pic in pdf. blow it up so ya can see the weep hole in the pump. just like a auto fuel pump. my info is not for me only. every engine that used that pump on anything pre service manual #3 would likely have this type of pump if it's never been replaced. and they are serviceable too. also, you'll also see no mention of any plumbing from the fuel pump back to the carb. in manuals 1 or 2. but it's in 3.

i really have no point to my comment i guess. short of in the old days, things apparently were not done like they are today and folks are getting smarter and putting worthwhile safety features on for us. if they're available, most certainly do the upgrade and use a marine fuel pump. i'm just saying there could be some out there that are still like they came from the oem in the year of mfg. that do not meet todays standards.. just conversation...

I'm not one for regulations, I figure to each his own assume the amount of risk you are comfortable with. I have seen the results of non marine parts on two occasions now. On one people got out, no harm no fowl, just loss of boat. On the other it was a dinner cruise on a tour boat. A server was over the engine hatch when it blew. Inhaled the heat and burned the lungs on the inside not to mention leg and other exterior burns. I will never forget this and will not expose my family to the risk. We did not work on this boat at the time, but since I was part of the initial responce I had to give a deposition on what I found. For me it's not worth the risk.

James

i.boat1

Banned

abj87: Just let me know where, and when your on the water, i don't want you killing me and my young kids also when your boats blows up. As for the people on your boat i really don't really care about, but you should.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

abj87: Just let me know where, and when your on the water, i don't want you killing me and my young kids also when your boats blows up. As for the people on your boat i really don't really care about, but you should.

Now why would my boat blow up??? I'm a ME that understands how these things work and can safely interchange with auto parts and modify when appropriate.

What i was trying to say is there is very little difference if any on most marine parts and if you care able distinguish the differences (if any) you can substitute. If you cant your best off buying marine parts....

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

abj87, I can only hope that the only boat you are working on is your own. I would suggest that you not give advice of this nature to others unless you are very familiar with their skills and abilities and or know exactly what system and components they are using.

Good luck to you and your passengers. I hope you know as much about this as you think. To each his own.

James

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Anyone hear what caused the cruiser to blow up in Florida a week or so ago? I suspect that was a fuel issue and while probably not due to using incorrect parts, it was very likely a failure of a fuel related part and illustrates what gasoline, a bit of fresh air and an ignition source can do in a confined space.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Everyone done sniping at each other?

Aww come on......It was just getting fun!!
toothlessgiggler.gif

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with abj87, some automotive parts can be used,IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, the delco alternator is identical to marine,swap over the spark arrestor.same for delco starters, some carbs can be used with minor modifications,the distributor from an 87 to95 chev truck is identical to the delco voyager marine unit,yes the screened vents too,fuel pumps,no way.I do not believe in comprimising saftey at any time,I do believe in saving a buck when it can be done safely