68 Starchief 120 hp mercruiser i/o questions

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer
I am picking up a (free) 68 starchief next weekend and was told the engine (4 cyl) needs lead additive to run or needs a rebuild to run on unleaded? What all is involved in the changeover? Also, what all is involved in a transom replacement?

Thanks, Bret

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: 68 Starchief 120 hp mercruiser i/o questions

Bret I am not sure on a boat motor although I would think its petty much the same as a classic car motor . The head needs to be pulled and rebuilt with hardened valve seats . Thats pretty much all that should need to be done to a boat motor as well but being I am just getting back into boats after 20 years away I will be watching to see what the boat savy have to say as my 74 Larson also says Leaded Fuel only on the fuel cap.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome Aboard Brett! And another Starcraft owner!

FREE? That's great! I hope what they say about free boats isnt true for you..

I would think a lead adder is fine, but I havent even thought of that myself..Better start to as my 68 Holiday is gonna hit the water soon!

On the transom, you will probably just need to replace the wood back in there, being all aluminum, there isnt anything else to rot..

My buddy North Beach is restoring a Chief as well..look at his thread..

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=286412

reelfishin

Captain

I too have been knocking around the idea of picking up a freebie with an I/O drive but I'd most likely be looking at converting it to an outboard boat.
My last boat with a Mercruiser 120 got a new valve job and stainless steel valves and it did fine. The original owner had been running it for years stock with no issues, but it was due for an overhaul so I took a few precautions when doing the rebuild. The original owner did say he poured a cup of marvel mystery oil in every tank, who knows, that may have helped it survive all those years. It wasn't real bad, it really didn't need an overhaul, just a good reseal and a new oil pan but since I had it out and apart, I did everything.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

I hope this free boat does not turn into a nightmare, but I have always wanted a boat, and my wife couldn't argue with free. (she doesn't know the scope of the planned restoration yet!) :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I hear that! My wife would never have approved dropping a couple grand on a boat. However, the one I dragged home was so cheap ($200) that I didn't feel I needed approval :) Of course I ended up dropping a couple grand into it over the course of the next couple years getting it how I want it.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, now I'm really bitten... I have a line on a 1969 holiday i/o for $400 that I could use for parts or restore as well. The floor needs replacing, and the motor is not hooked up and is missing the carb. How easy are they to get?? can you say aluminum fleet??:eek:

-Bret

Rickairmedic

Commander

Bret I will warn you once bitten the Bug becomes trouble :D. I have a 1964 Ford F100 in the drive to restore . Then theres the FREE 1989 Dodge D100 truck that needs paint badly ( SWMBO ) calls it the Calico truck if that tells you anything about the current paint :D. Then theres The 1974 Larson 1700 Shark that needs interior ,paint aand an engine coupler. Then last for the moment LOL is a 1964 Crestliner Del Rio that also needs a full resto which will be built to match the 1963 Ford. I am also looking at another project boat LOL but I am looking at it mainly for the 1959 Mercury 45HP outboard and controls to use on the Crestliner.

Rick